cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Credit Card Payoff

tag

Question About Credit Card Payoff

I currently owe $1900 (limit: 7500) on a Navy FCU credit card which is interest-free until mid-2015 and I owe $800 on my Discover (limit: 2500) which is also interest-free until mid-2015. I have about $9500 in my savings, so should I go ahead and pay one of these cards off? Or both? I'm not sure what to do! 

Thanks! 

NFCU Cash Rewards - $7500; USAA Platinum - $2000; Barclays Rewards Mastercard - $1300; Walmart - $900; Capital One - $500; Target - $300; USAA Student Card - $300
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About Credit Card Payoff

IMO I would go for a lower utilization but dont feel that its necessary to PIF unless you have plans for an installment loan such as a car or Mortgage. What is your current utilization?

Message 2 of 4

Utilization is 27% on the Navy and 32% on the Discover. I have eleven credit cards, and those are the only two with balances. My scores from all three bureaus are staying around 720-730, and I would like to increase it, so I assume I need to pay a large chunk on both cards. Correct? 

NFCU Cash Rewards - $7500; USAA Platinum - $2000; Barclays Rewards Mastercard - $1300; Walmart - $900; Capital One - $500; Target - $300; USAA Student Card - $300
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA?

I think its the new accounts that are just taking a while to bring you back up from that initial hit. Like I said originally, if you have no plans for anything major in the next 6-12 months I would use the savings for either interest earnings or investing and PIF before your interest schedule starts. Personal opinion but if you keep your TOTAL of all cards Util below about 15% you should start seeing increases as the account progresses.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.