Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Discover IT Cashback

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About Discover IT Cashback

So for the last quarter of the Discover IT Cashback Rewards, the category will be Department Stores & Online Shopping. Now, there are also deals going on in the ShopDiscover store like 5% cashback, 10% cashback, etc. Would these deals be in addition to the set 5% cashback on the category for the quarter?

So for example, BestBuy's deal right now through ShopDiscover is 5% cashback. Is that in addition to the 5% cashback for the category of Department Stores & Online Shopping, totalling 10% cashback? 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About Discover IT Cashback

The more i think about how Discover does things, The more i don't like it, The fact that the card is NOT accepted in a lot of places plus the fact that you need to accumulate at  least $50 to collect your Rewards makes them undesirable, in the future when i decide to close one of my accounts i think Discover will be the first one to go....

Message 2 of 34
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

if i remember correctly yes it will be 10% . as long as you go through the portal to get to the online shop. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 34
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The more i think about how Discover does things, The more i don't like it, The fact that the card is NOT accepted in a lot of places plus the fact that you need to accumulate at  least $50 to collect your Rewards makes them undesirable, in the future when i decide to close one of my accounts i think Discover will be the first one to go....

I think the number of merchants who won't take Disover/AMEX is overstated. Only once did I run into an issue where a merchant didn't accept Discover, and it wasn't because he couldn't, but because he said he'd rather take another CC that doesn't high merchant charges.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the number of merchants who won't take Disover/AMEX is overstated. Only once did I run into an issue where a merchant didn't accept Discover, and it wasn't because he couldn't, but because he said he'd rather take another CC that doesn't high merchant charges.

i went to pay for a Metro Pcs bill and they do NOT take Discover, i went to eat at Pollo Tropical Franchise Restaurants and they do NOT take Discover.............Discover needs to step up their game, Metro Pcs has MILLIONS of Customers as well as Pollo Tropical does too, Discover is messing up and missing out....

Message 5 of 34
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i went to pay for a Metro Pcs bill and they do NOT take Discover, i went to eat at Pollo Tropical Franchise Restaurants and they do NOT take Discover.............Discover needs to step up their game, Metro Pcs has MILLIONS of Customers as well as Pollo Tropical does too, Discover is messing up and missing out....

Truthfully, I haven't tried using my Discover at PT, nor do I have Metro, so I'll have to take your word for it.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 6 of 34
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

any area, has networks they don't take. 

i haven't been to one place that has declined my discover. while some places i've been to don't take amex . 

its all in the area/shop youre in. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 34
Bluebonnet
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So for the last quarter of the Discover IT Cashback Rewards, the category will be Department Stores & Online Shopping. Now, there are also deals going on in the ShopDiscover store like 5% cashback, 10% cashback, etc. Would these deals be in addition to the set 5% cashback on the category for the quarter?

So for example, BestBuy's deal right now through ShopDiscover is 5% cashback. Is that in addition to the 5% cashback for the category of Department Stores & Online Shopping, totalling 10% cashback? 

I believe you would get whatever deal was being offered through ShopDiscover in addition to the 5% for the category of Department Stores & Online Shopping.  Good way to earn cash back.

Last app: 10/4/14
In the garden until Winter of 2016
Message 8 of 34
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not quite true. You can redeem your rewards with as little as $20, if you buy gift cards. Lots of $25 partner gift cards are available for $20 in cashback.

Message 9 of 34
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well... you could always pick and choose. Sam's Club, for example, accepts Discover but not Visa! Does that mean Visa has an acceptance problem or that it needs to "step up its game"? I doubt too many people will say that.

It's possible that for your usage, Discover is not a good fit. But it's a jump from that to the generalization that Discover has problems.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.