Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Pending transactions and closing date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: Pending transactions and closing date

I have the following scenario:

I'va bought a flight ticket at large amount on 3.21 - The transaction is pending

My statement closing date is 3.23 , I would like to make a payment to cover most of the amount before the statment close date (do have a lower card utilization), but I don't expect the trasaction will clear so fast.

what sould I do?

I had a similar scenario in the past. I've waited for the transaction to clear, and it cleared right before the statment close and my credit score got a hit.

Thanks for the advice!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Question: Pending transactions and closing date

Let the statement cut and don't worry about it if you aren't applying for anything.  Your score will bounce back next month.

No biggie as you said it happened before and it looks like everything turned out well.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 9
noobody
Established Contributor

push the payment from checking account

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 3 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Question @noobody. If one pushes the payment, and the transaction is still pending, will that create a credit on the CC account? If yes, will the CCC do an adjustment and return the credit back to your bank?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the following scenario:

I'va bought a flight ticket at large amount on 3.21 - The transaction is pending

My statement closing date is 3.23 , I would like to make a payment to cover most of the amount before the statment close date (do have a lower card utilization), but I don't expect the trasaction will clear so fast.

what sould I do?

I had a similar scenario in the past. I've waited for the transaction to clear, and it cleared right before the statment close and my credit score got a hit.

Thanks for the advice!

1. Push an electronic payment from your bank account

2. Make payment at a branch

3. Overnight the payment if it's worth it to you

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
@Anonymous @noobody. If one pushes the payment, and the transaction is still pending, will that create a credit on the CC account? If yes, will the CCC do an adjustment and return the credit back to your bank?

It will create a credit balance, which will report as a zero balance.

They will not return the credit to your bank. They might or might not mail you a refund check, but the account will report a zero balance, so you're good.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I've overpaid it creates a credit that stays in the account for a full cycle.  Then a refund check shows up in the mail shortly after.

Message 7 of 9
noobody
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
@Anonymous @noobody. If one pushes the payment, and the transaction is still pending, will that create a credit on the CC account? If yes, will the CCC do an adjustment and return the credit back to your bank?

negative balance will report Zero to CB

they will send you a check if you request it or after 1/3/6 month depend which bank we talking about

since your charge will post in couple days, you do not have to worry about refund check

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good points above but I think it also depends on the card. Amex for example lets me make a payment against pending transactions.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.