Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question, RE: Pruning

tag
ltspongebob
Valued Member

Question, RE: Pruning

Hi All,

Background (Sorry if long, but you've all helped me significantly):  After years (20+) of various trials and mistakes with Credit Cards from college to now (Charge offs, collections, bank closed accounts, but no BK), I've been lurking here for the past 6 months, starting with a CL of $10,000 with an assortment of rebuilder cards and my one "regular" Wells Fargo Visa with a Util of 95%.  I am now at a CL of $77,000 and a util of 11% and a FICO '08 from 620 to 700, all in just 6 months.

I am finding that of my rebuilder cards are now uneeded and I'm looking at getting rid of the HSBC with $1700 CL even though it has no balance and no AF. Am I crazy or should I just leave it alone and let them close it?

Thanks,

Sponge

FICO '08=764
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Question, RE: Pruning

@ltspongebob wrote:

Hi All,

Background (Sorry if long, but you've all helped me significantly):  After years (20+) of various trials and mistakes with Credit Cards from college to now (Charge offs, collections, bank closed accounts, but no BK), I've been lurking here for the past 6 months, starting with a CL of $10,000 with an assortment of rebuilder cards and my one "regular" Wells Fargo Visa with a Util of 95%.  I am now at a CL of $77,000 and a util of 11% and a FICO '08 from 620 to 700, all in just 6 months.

I am finding that of my rebuilder cards are now uneeded and I'm looking at getting rid of the HSBC with $1700 CL even though it has no balance and no AF. Am I crazy or should I just leave it alone and let them close it?

Thanks,

Sponge

Weclome to the forum 

As long as cards don't have AF leave them open any that do and you have no further need for close.IMO

It will still report positive history for a long time 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

Sock it in the drawer
no need to close the card if he doesn't have AF you can use it to buy coffee and pay it off when due so that way they can still report to CRA
and it also will be good for credit lenght

closing it will make it come off the record after 10 years vs 7 years of neg reports

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My view is: if you don't want it, close it.  Simplifies things, don't need to waste spending keeping it open from time to time.  By the time the card drops off, 10 or so years from now, your credit situation might be very different, and the impact is going to be in the noise of other credit decisions made between then and now.

Message 4 of 6
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

In most situations I would simply say leave it open and use it once in a while.  It is probably better you close it if you must than for them to, but why close it right now?  Now that it is being converted to a Capone card you might be able to get them to raise the limit and or product change the card.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 6
JonStur
Established Contributor

I still have two HSBC cards one $1500 one $1400. The limits are meager and inconsequential and I could close them as it would virtually have zero impact on my credit profile. But they have no AF. and now are linked to my Cap one page and they've added their limit to the total balance of my Cap1 card. So I just let my fiancé hold em and use if she wants to get something for herself or if an emergency arises. So it's really up to you...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.