Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Chase Freedom

tag
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

Question Regarding Chase Freedom

I was recently approved for the Chase Freedom card at a $1200.00 limit (still awaiting the card to be shipped). Is it possible to call the recon number and ask for a higher limit? I'd like a $2000.00 limit if possible (plan to use my card for school). Will they request to HP again?  If that's the case, I rather not move forward. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question Regarding Chase Freedom

@StriveToProsper wrote:

I was recently approved for the Chase Freedom card at a $1200.00 limit (still awaiting the card to be shipped). Is it possible to call the recon number and ask for a higher limit? I'd like a $2000.00 limit if possible (plan to use my card for school). Will they request to HP again?  If that's the case, I rather not move forward. 

You can call and request a CLI before getting the card, but it is going to be a HP.

Message 2 of 10
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

My son recently received his card with a $1200.00 limit and when he activated the card he requested

an increase in the credit limit to $2500.00, They compromised and gave him $2400.00, without any

hard inquires.

You may have better luck when you acitvate the card.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 10
cobbson
Regular Contributor

@Cleanmachine wrote:

My son recently received his card with a $1200.00 limit and when he activated the card he requested

an increase in the credit limit to $2500.00, They compromised and gave him $2400.00, without any

hard inquires.

You may have better luck when you acitvate the card.

Good Luck

That doesn't look like a compromise to me. Looks more like a win for your son. Congratulations to the young man!

Message 4 of 10
jd352
Regular Contributor

You can always call and find out. They will tell you if they need to HP again. If they say they need to, just pass and thank them for their time. Personally, they never gave me an auto CLI on the Freedom. They only way I got my limit higher was to request a CLI from them which resulted in a HP. Point being, at some point you may have to take the HP to get a higher CL from them. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 5 of 10
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

Just gave the recon department a call and they said I'd have to call customer service for a CLI which would be a hard pull regardless.

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not considering others have received one without a HP.  

Message 6 of 10
jd352
Regular Contributor

@StriveToProsper wrote:

Just gave the recon department a call and they said I'd have to call customer service for a CLI which would be a hard pull regardless.

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not considering others have received one without a HP.  

The first rule of thumb about CLI's are there are no rules of thumb even if there are well established procedures such as Amex's infamouis 3x 61 day CLI. In the end. it's always YMMV depending on your file/scores/relationship/rep contacted. There are just so many factors. You can always call back, get another person and instead of asking for a CLI, you can ask if the initial CL offerred can be looked at again and possibly adjusted. To be honest, most CSR's don't actually handle CLI's. They can take the request, but often the call is transferred to the underwriting department for the actual CLI process. Like I said, plenty of people have received auto CLI's from Chase. As for me, I never got one.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 7 of 10
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

I'll try again and see what is said.

Should I contact: 888-270-2127 (App recon) or 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)?

All calls have resulted in them saying I'd need to request a CLI which would be a hard pull. I decided to pass on this - rather wait till I'm done gardening. 

Message 8 of 10
newhis
Valued Contributor

@StriveToProsper wrote:

I'll try again and see what is said.

Should I contact: 888-270-2127 (App recon) or 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)?

All calls have resulted in them saying I'd need to request a CLI which would be a hard pull. I decided to pass on this - rather wait till I'm done gardening. 

Yeah, same for my DW who got a $500 limit. We didn't know that she wasn't correcty linked from our savings account with Chase, I guess that's why the low limit after many years with them, they were only able to see low credit card limits and a Chase account with a couple thousand. We're trying to fix that and then ask for reconsideration with a secure message. Her credit history only 3 months.

If they HP a couple of days ago, what can they possible find pulling again? 

Message 9 of 10
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

They were requesting to pull another bureau.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.