Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AMEX BCP $200 sign up bonus

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Question about AMEX BCP $200 sign up bonus

I spent $50 on my first statement not counting the $95 fee.  I spent a little over $950 on this statement which still has 10 days before the end of the billing cycle.  The last transaction to push me over my $1000 spend just posted today (out from pending).

I've heard that AMEX sign up bonuses generally go in quickly as opposed to the month delay on the cashback bonus.  How does this $200 bonus work?  Will I suddently have a balance of $750 instead of $950?  Do I have to wait until the statement cuts and then "apply" the bonus as part of my payment?  Can I apply it before the end of the billing cycle?

Shortly after this statement is when my 61 days will be and I'll be trying for a 3x CLI.  I want to pay down the balance before the statement so that my utilization reports under 9%, but I don't want the bonus to then further push me down to zero so that I'm reporting no use.  The plan is to PIF after the statement reports, and then request the CLI.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm just curious how the bonus is credited.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about AMEX BCP $200 sign up bonus

It will be credited to your bill as a statement credit normally pretty quickly.

Edit: For your example that's exactly how it would happen. You'll see your balance decrease by $200 but it does not count as a payment on the account itself as a reminder.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my bonus ($150 & 1st year AF waived) 3 weeks ago, $150 showed up as statement credit 3 days after the transaction that satisfied the spending requirement.
Message 3 of 4
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Thank you!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.