Frequent Contributor

Question about AMEX Costco True Earnings Card

Obviously you have to be a Costco member to apply for this card, but what happens if you allow your Costco membership to expire (or cancel it)?  Does the True Earnings card close?  Does it remain open with a different rewards structure?  Does it close?  Is there a fee?  I can't find any details on this anywhere...

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about AMEX Costco True Earnings Card

I'd assume it will close, but even if it doesn't, how would you spend your rewards without a Costco membership?

Valued Contributor

back when i opened my membership card, they said that if your membership lapses you would have to pay the 55$ af to amex. im not sure how accurate this is but its funny because you might as well just get the membership. 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9

2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Valued Contributor

I just got mine yesterday, and read the user agreement.

They reserve the right to cancel the card, if you cancel your membership.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board and $500 secured CC
12/2014: 750+ scores across the board and $80k in revolving credit

Get those baddies removed!!!
Frequent Contributor

Repo-ed wrote:

I just got mine yesterday, and read the user agreement.

They reserve the right to cancel the card, if you cancel your membership.

Perfect.  That is exactly the answer I was looking for... thank you!

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Epic Contributor

You start to pay an AF on Costco Amex without Costco Membership Active... I guess they could cancel it but I would think they rather keep you and charge AF.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

You start to pay an AF on Costco Amex without Costco Membership Active... I guess they could cancel it but I would think they rather keep you and charge AF.

Correct.

They will charge you the AF if you cancel your membership, BUT - they can also cancel the card.

Super Contributor

The Costco Amex has no AF. You have to pay Costco membership to keep the card.  I think $65 for basic and the executive is $110. Amex will cancel if you cancel Costco membership.  Many people pay the membership to get Costco Amex.  I like Costco and it saved me a lot of money on groceries and other stuff.

Ron.

Valued Contributor

What happens to my annual reward if I cancel my Costco membership?

Only Costco members are eligible for the American Express Costco Cash Rebate Credit Card. If you no longer have a valid Costco membership your American Express account may be cancelled and your annual reward forfeited. One convenient way to ensure that your Costco membership stays active is to have your annual membership fee automatically billed to your American Express Costco Cash Rebate Credit Card. Please contact Costco at 1-800-774-2678 to enroll if you are not already enrolled.

http://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/phaseib/costcocashrebatecreditcard.do?vgnext...

Here - everything you need to know about the card.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.