Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AMEX backdating

tag
doctorofcredit
Valued Member

Question about AMEX backdating

As some of you know, AMEX will backdate any new card you have to the oldest card you have (e.g I get my first AMEX card in 2004, I then apply for a new card in 2012 and it'll show up in my credit report as having this card since 2004).

I'm just wondering if this only applies for cards American Express offers themselves, or if it transfers to all cards processed by them.

E.g let's say I get the USAA secured card, then four years later I get the SPG card offered by amex, will they back date that card the four years I had the secured card or not? I'm assuming no, but not 100%. 

TU08 - 823
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Question about AMEX backdating

@doctorofcredit wrote:

As some of you know, AMEX will backdate any new card you have to the oldest card you have (e.g I get my first AMEX card in 2004, I then apply for a new card in 2012 and it'll show up in my credit report as having this card since 2004).

I'm just wondering if this only applies for cards American Express offers themselves, or if it transfers to all cards processed by them.

E.g let's say I get the USAA secured card, then four years later I get the SPG card offered by amex, will they back date that card the four years I had the secured card or not? I'm assuming no, but not 100%. 

Yes 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@doctorofcredit wrote:

Yes 

+1

Other AMEX bank-issued cards (not by Centurion Bank) will not backdate the MSD.

Message 3 of 7
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Yes, for those of us without any Amex from Centurion now is the time to secure 2013 as a backdate year!

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@heyitsyeh wrote:

Yes, for those of us without any Amex from Centurion now is the time to secure 2013 as a backdate year!

You mean as the account opening date?  Since any other non-Centurion issued AMEX cards will not backdate to 2013.

Message 5 of 7
CraveMazda
Contributor

I have a USAA AMEX and that did not backdate so I would say the answer to your question is, yes.

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@doctorofcredit wrote:

Technically they backdate to the year that you established your membership.  The oldest card I have is from this year.  However, I established my membership back in 1998 so my Centurion issued cards are backdated to 1998.  I don't have the card from back then.  There was a bankruptcy since then for one thing.

@doctorofcredit wrote:

Nope.  My USAA Amex was not backdated to 1998.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.