cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AMEX closed account, if applying for new AMEX account will it be a soft pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about AMEX closed account, if applying for new AMEX account will it be a soft pull?

So I closed out my AMEX revolver 2 months ago but still have the online access account showing accounts as closed...if I apply for an AMEX charge card, will this be a soft pull initially?  Or will it be a hard pull since my AMEX accounts are cancelled?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about AMEX closed account, if applying for new AMEX account will it be a soft pull?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I closed out my AMEX revolver 2 months ago but still have the online access account showing accounts as closed...if I apply for an AMEX charge card, will this be a soft pull initially?  Or will it be a hard pull since my AMEX accounts are cancelled?

I don't know the answer, but if you're approved, regardless of being a current Amex member or not, you'll get a hard pull.  I'd just expect one in your case as if you're actually wanting and expecting to get the tradeline, the answer is pretty moot.

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about AMEX closed account, if applying for new AMEX account will it be a soft pull?

Hey revelate,

I guess the question should be rephrased: Since technically I don't have AMEX cards anymore, will it be a soft pull to apply and then turn to hard upon approval--as opposed to someone who has never has an AMEX it is a hard pull whether approved or not.  Is closing out my accounts 2 months short enough to still leave me in their member system where it will be a soft pull still if for some reason I am denied the charge card?  (I had 2 revolvers with AMEX that I closed 2 monts ago)

Message 3 of 5
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey revelate,

I guess the question should be rephrased: Since technically I don't have AMEX cards anymore, will it be a soft pull to apply and then turn to hard upon approval--as opposed to someone who has never has an AMEX it is a hard pull whether approved or not.  Is closing out my accounts 2 months short enough to still leave me in their member system where it will be a soft pull still if for some reason I am denied the charge card?  (I had 2 revolvers with AMEX that I closed 2 monts ago)

Has something changed so drastically that you wouldn't be approved now but were in the past? I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if it's a charge... Just assume hard and in the off chance you get both a decline and a soft u win, kinda. My assumption would be a hard either way. I look at it this way, the soft thing is a nice perk for Amex, allowing you to side step unneeded inquires. However, it's still a bank. If they haven't been softing you for account reviews and such they won't know what your report looks like.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1.  I would expect that it will be a hard inquiry since you aren't a current cardmember.

Have you called and asked if they would even re~open your closed account ?  Might be a longshot, but it's worth a try IMO.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.