Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about APR

tag
Kittty

Question about APR

Hello,

I had a recent mishap with a collection, which I posted about in the credit repair forum (long story about AT&T sending me a refund check while I had an outstanding balance). My score dropped from 756 to 640 overnight because of the collection, but two months ago I called the collection agency and they asked the credit bureaus to remove the collection. The collection is now gone and my score is back up to 736.

However, in the three month window between when the collection was posted and then deleted Discover raised the APR on my card by 3%. I don't use the card very often, but it still concerns me. Now that my credit score has gone back up again what are the chances that my APR will drop anytime soon?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about APR

@Kittty wrote:

Hello,

I had a recent mishap with a collection, which I posted about in the credit repair forum (long story about AT&T sending me a refund check while I had an outstanding balance). My score dropped from 756 to 640 overnight because of the collection, but two months ago I called the collection agency and they asked the credit bureaus to remove the collection. The collection is now gone and my score is back up to 736.

However, in the three month window between when the collection was posted and then deleted Discover raised the APR on my card by 3%. I don't use the card very often, but it still concerns me. Now that my credit score has gone back up again what are the chances that my APR will drop anytime soon?

Thanks

You could call and ask for a APR reduction but chances are they are going to tell you that they will review it in six months.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
sandsanta
Contributor

Call and ask.  If your account is in excellent standing and your score is back to where it needs to be they might reduce it. 

Message 3 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I thought that was against the law to do that now?   Universal default mess.

Message 4 of 5
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Do you have a balance on your Discover card?  This is only speculation, but Discover may be more willing to lower an APR if the account is at 0.  I had the toughest time getting them to lower my APR until I transferred my balance out...

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.