Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about APR

tag
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Question about APR

What is considered a good APR? I have some decent limits but APRs in the 16-18% range. My lowest is 12% with Citi. Is it worth trying to get the rest of them lowered?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about APR

10% and lower is what I consider good, interest rates on rewards cards are typically going to be higher than non rewards cards.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 11
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

+1 on a good APR being 10% or lower. What kind of cards do you have and how long have you had them? Do you PIF? If not, it definitely will not hurt you to call and ask for an APR reduction.

@bluedog1 wrote:

What is considered a good APR? I have some decent limits but APRs in the 16-18% range. My lowest is 12% with Citi. Is it worth trying to get the rest of them lowered?

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 3 of 11
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

All of my cards are rewards cards. I got them 1-2 years ago when my credit score was about 30 points lower (720ish). I do PIF, just wondering if it's something that gets reported along with CLs and such.

Message 4 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Your APR doesn't get reported to the CRA's.  If you want a low APR card look into a CU, they can be in the 8.5% range.  Barclay Ring is also 8.5%.

Message 5 of 11
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Straight credit cards will get you the lowest apr. Cash rewards cards are always higher as the cc companies must make money to pay the rewards.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

Straight credit cards will get you the lowest apr. Cash rewards cards are always higher as the cc companies must make money to pay the rewards.

+1

You will seldomly find any large lending institution with a rewards card program with a competitive APR similar to a community bank or credit union offering.

Message 7 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with the other posters. When I was approved at my CU, I was offered the platinum or rewards Visa. The difference was APR of 9.50 vs 12.50. Since I have other rewards cards with better benefits it was a no brainer for me.
Message 8 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Capital One is my best APR at 13.99%

Had 5.99 before The Great Recession
And still have 9.24% on a closed Slate. It's hard to even get anything <20% range for me :-/ ugh
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@bluedog1 wrote:

there's usually a range APR for best to worst credit for that specific card, which you can find on that card website. Some cards have fixed APR for everyone who use that card (CSP is like this, I think).

You can definitely call to request your APR be lowered, but be warned sometimes they will do a hard pull for this. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.