Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Addresses and Credit Card Approvals

tag
JellyBellyGirl
Established Member

Question about Addresses and Credit Card Approvals

I currently have a PO Box listed on all 3 credit reports. I am moving in a few days so I updated my new home address to the credit card compamies.

4 days ago I receive an alert from Myfico (I pay for the premium monitoring) saying that a new address was recorded to my Experian file. But when I log inot Experian directlty and view todays credit report it is still showing the old PO Box. How can this be?

I want to apply for a couple of cards, but my fear is the PO Box will cause an automatic denial.

Also, if I were to apply with my new address and its not listed on the credit reports would that cause a flag or denial?

Anyone have any ideas. 

I wanted to try for chase and discover. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Question about Addresses and Credit Card Approvals

Cant you just wait until you move and the address is properly updated? You can verify it is changed before you app. A PO box will cause a denial AFAIK.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JellyBellyGirl wrote:

I want to apply for a couple of cards, but my fear is the PO Box will cause an automatic denial.

Lenders require a physical address when you apply. While you may use a PO box for mailing purposes and can add it later, they want your real physical address on file. Part of the CARD act.

Message 3 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

And it makes perfect sense. If PO boxes were allowed, apps would be far less secure and you know people would cheat and use other credentials with the PO box etc to get better terms. So best not to allow them.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
And it makes perfect sense. If PO boxes were allowed, apps would be far less secure and you know people would cheat and use other credentials with the PO box etc to get better terms. So best not to allow them.

that makes perfect sense. theres a way to circumvent that though..

I have heard of folks just forwarding a persons mail to a PO box anyway, taking cards out in that name... and it didn't stop the cards

Message 5 of 6
ceejx
Established Contributor

I have a PO Box for a mailing address only since I don't have home mail service...It's not caused me any issues other than getting the physical card, but there are ways to deal with that...I still put my physical address, which is not on my report, and get the 7-10 day message every time and just have to call and verify my address.. Never caused me an issue.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.