Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex BCE CLI

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Question about Amex BCE CLI

So I feel a little ocd, but I'm really trying to gain insight on how to accomplish getting a 3xcli on BCE after 61days.

My question is this:
Does Amex prefer you to have a $0.00 balance on your statement to get a cli or at time of cli request? Or do they just want you to pif generally speaking? I already paid my first statement in full, but I'm curious to know if I should pay my next two statements before the statement cuts so they say $0.00.

Even if I let a balance report, I won't use more than 20% of my avail credit, and I will def pay in full. My limit is $3,500, and I'd really like to get that to $10,000. I'll prob request $10.5 or 11k late December (might even wait til the third statement cuts just to avoid any time lag that would result between approval/activation date lol)

Any advice is helpful, especially those who have experience with Amex.
I've been only using this card and have not been actively seeking any clis or anything like that. I'm reallllyy wanting that higher limit, which would even further my financial relationship with Amex). :-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Amex BCE CLI

Had the BCP for a year now, and 2 CLI already. They like it when you run serious money through it. Because it's my go-to card, I let it report 1-9% every month, and have the other cards report 0%. I think this is the best strategy. Also, make sure you check your score, so that there are no surprises.

Good luck!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 2 of 27
distantarray
Established Contributor

remember Amex is originally a charge card company they don't like large balance carry overs, but with that said a under 15% is perfectly fine, but I would keep it at 2% which is known as the magic number for your credit scores =P

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, I more than likely won't let more than $500 report (so like 14%). If I get the CLI, I'll be able to charge my tuition. I might even just try to keep the bal reporting at <$100 lol.

Well, I have one card with like an almost $5000 balance, but I'm paying that off soon, prob down to $2.5k when I req a cli from Amex, and Im limiting the balances reported on my other cards to all <$100. I use Wmt Discover for gas that I pif. My overall reported util should be down to 8-9% vs. 12-13% when I was approved. I expect my score to increase 10 or so points by then, but we shall see. There are two fraud accounts that randomly pop up every few months for the past year, an every single time I have to call all of the CBs and explain to them that they are FRAUD and couldn't possibly be mine as they were opened several years before I was 18!!! Ugh! But I watch my reports like a hawk! I even have text alerts sent to my phone from Amex's Credit Secure !
I've never experienced aa btw as I'm always sure to get those accts removed before any creditors see them reporting lol

I also have student loans that recently started reporting.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks y'all:-)
Message 5 of 27
alboto
Regular Contributor

I havent gotten my card yet and I already want 61 days to pass so I can do it lol.
Message 6 of 27
score_building
Senior Contributor

Regardless of the amounts, ideally will have as few accounts as possible  reporting any balance for best results.

2.5k is not an insignificant balance reporting on one account (is it more than 50% of CL for e.g.) particularly as a student unless income/ payment history is exceptional/ better than average. Big limits beget big limits but without the personal income to support them, such requests can become dicey on a typical full time student income.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 27
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

The lower the balance reported, the better. Probably less than 10% CL is a no problemo amount. 

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just did this today. Here is what I did.

I always let my balances report - I don't care if it affects score yada yada yada - it's what I do and it hasn't affected me yet.

The first balance I paid on the due date. The second balance I got I paid today, (scheduled payments last night, even though it isn't due until next month. Today, I requested the 3x and got pretty close to the full 3x.

I just moved about half of my charge card spend onto the BCE (mostly groceries and a few other things) and that's all. 

I think people get a little too nervous with AMEX - I really don't think there is any reason to tip-toe around them. Treat them well and they should treat you well.

Message 9 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Note taken: minimize bal reporting, which I'm already doing.
Score_building: I have a full time job too...hhi is $100k+ so I have the income... The limit on that card with a $5k bal is $6.5k, so $2.5k will be far less than 50%. I have $80k of avail cred, and my highest limit is $12k, while I have several visas, mcs, two discovers, two amex's (one is barclay's trav amex), and store cards with limits in the $4k-$7k range. I've been tackling my debt like a mofo since I got the Amex really trying to get util <9%. I really don't have any fixed expenses. My rent is comp'ed and nontaxable, and I have a cellphone bill lol plus my credit cards (min pmts are only $200-300, but of course I pay far more than that - more like $1k to $2k a month). My downfall is expensive wine and car rentals lol - I like nice restaurants, and I don't want to buy or lease, so I rent- actually cheaper for me and no committment. Lol I also recently started paying on my student loans, even though they are deferred another year or two. I'm really hoping I can get to 710 or 720 fico in two months as I believe Amex will def cli me if I can do that. :-)

Thanks again for the advice y'all :-) I think I can do it !!!! I'm just so excited to have this Amex BCE as I've wanted this card sooooooo long!!!!! I want to treat her right ;-)
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.