cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex back dating...Will this work?

tag
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Question about Amex back dating...Will this work?

My question is this. 

Back in 2006 I had an Amex Platinum that I defaulted on for $13k. Since then I've started a business that is doing well I would like to get another Amex one day or at least have the back dating of the old acct. My younger sister has great credit but she also has an Amex delta sky miles platinum card that she got about a year ago. I want to know if I was to get added as an AU on her account if I would be able to back date my acct from 2006? I want to do this to improve my AAoA since my BK in 2008.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about Amex back dating...Will this work?

no it would not backdate because your not the primary account holder, why dont you pay off the $13k and then write a GW letter and they might let you into the oasis program which rebuilds your relationship with amex starting off with a low limit card. After you've had it for a year apply for a card of your own and it will backdate back to 2006. You might also be denied the AU card on your sisters account because I just added an AU and I think in the disclosure for verifying their info said they must not have bad history with amex previously but I could be wrong

amazon
Message 2 of 6
android01
Valued Contributor

@tsquad131 wrote:

no it would not backdate because your not the primary account holder, why dont you pay off the $13k and then write a GW letter and they might let you into the oasis program which rebuilds your relationship with amex starting off with a low limit card. After you've had it for a year apply for a card of your own and it will backdate back to 2006. You might also be denied the AU card on your sisters account because I just added an AU and I think in the disclosure for verifying their info said they must not have bad history with amex previously but I could be wron9

I just tried to add an employee AU to my Business Platinum AMEX, and the request was denied due to his previous relationship with AMEX.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 3 of 6
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

@tsquad131 wrote:

no it would not backdate because your not the primary account holder, why dont you pay off the $13k and then write a GW letter and they might let you into the oasis program which rebuilds your relationship with amex starting off with a low limit card. After you've had it for a year apply for a card of your own and it will backdate back to 2006. You might also be denied the AU card on your sisters account because I just added an AU and I think in the disclosure for verifying their info said they must not have bad history with amex previously but I could be wrong

I hear you but $13K just to get back into Amex isn't worth it besides they tacked on an additional $5000 in late payments. So the debt is closer to $18k theres no way I'm paying that back just to get back into Amex good graces. But thanks for the info much appreciated.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You wouldn't be paying it back just to get on their good side, you would be paying back because it's still a debt that you owe.  I know a lot of people don't care about actually repaying people and only care about getting out of it if at all possible (BK), but repaying is still the right thing to do at the end of the day.   

Message 5 of 6
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@jonmartin wrote:

My question is this. 

Back in 2006 I had an Amex Platinum that I defaulted on for $13k. Since then I've started a business that is doing well I would like to get another Amex one day or at least have the back dating of the old acct. My younger sister has great credit but she also has an Amex delta sky miles platinum card that she got about a year ago. I want to know if I was to get added as an AU on her account if I would be able to back date my acct from 2006? I want to do this to improve my AAoA since my BK in 2008.

Sorry, but AMEX will not do this.  I also had a card that I closed in 2006, and am currently an AU on a family member's AMEX.  They won't backdate you, as the card you're an AU on is simply not your member since date.  Also, they're no longer backdating additional card members back to the original card holders member since date; although you would inherit her good payment history, you would take a hit for the new account and not gain her history to help your AAoA.  Ask me how I know... Smiley Mad

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.