Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex closing date.

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Question about Amex closing date.

If my statement closing date is the 15th, can I charge something on the 14th and not be posted in the statement? 

I'm thinking if period closing date is 15 and the statement will cut on the 16?

Also, I don't think the pending charges are going to drop in 1-2 day(s) and be included in the statement?

What do you guys think?

14: charge something at store

15: closing date, statement cut?

16: pending charged are posted? or maybe too soon?

I'm good to go?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Amex closing date.

@armbenderc wrote:

If my statement closing date is the 15th, can I charge something on the 14th and not be posted in the statement? 

Also, I don't think the pending charges are going to drop in 1-2 day(s) and be included in the statement?

What do you guys think?

I'm good to go?

Unless your applying for new credit / mortgage / car loan / etc who cares? It won't matter 1 bit.

But generally if your applying for those things very soon, pay it off 3-4 days before statement hits. and Don't use your card for those days. Buy a Visa gift card to get you buy if it must be =P or use a Charge card for those times.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 8
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

What do you guys think?

I'm good to go?

Unless your applying for new credit / mortgage / car loan / etc who cares? It won't matter 1 bit.

But generally if your applying for those things very soon, pay it off 3-4 days before statement hits. and Don't use your card for those days. Buy a Visa gift card to get you buy if it must be =P or use a Charge card for those times.

I'm in the garden, so I won't be applying for anything soon lol Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I just don't like having my statement cut with balance on it. I think I should be fine, the charges won't post before closing period anyway, specially if it's the day before closing.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

Message 3 of 8
distantarray
Established Contributor

pending still usually reports for most cards ime, ymmv

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

What do you guys think?

I'm good to go?

I'm in the garden, so I won't be applying for anything soon lol Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I just don't like having my statement cut with balance on it. I think I should be fine, the charges won't post before closing period anyway, specially if it's the day before closing.

I understand that people get in this habit, but there is a (potential) cost of sorts.  On each card that you do this, you are losing ~20 day float of the money.  Over time, with a 1% account say, it can add up.

Message 5 of 8
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

I'm just the opposite, I'll regularally have stuff post after my statement date that I charged before the cutoff...  it's nice to put that over onto the next months budget Smiley Wink

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 8
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

That's true, I remember on my Amex Green, closing date was like 13 or something and I charge on the 12, it wasn't in the statement and nothing is due. Reported 0 balance still. I know it doesn't matter on a charge card.

The one I am asking is for the BCE, maybe it is different?

Message 7 of 8
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

That's true, I remember on my Amex Green, closing date was like 13 or something and I charge on the 12, it wasn't in the statement and nothing is due. Reported 0 balance still. I know it doesn't matter on a charge card.

The one I am asking is for the BCE, maybe it is different?

Only the transactions that post to your account by 2359 on your closing date will be reported, that is my experience.  and it's hard to tell what transactions will be closed in that time frame..

for example if my closing date is the 15th, I have had some charges on the 15th that closed same day and others on the 13th that didn't close until after my statement cut.  there is no real rhyme or reason to it.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.