Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,339
Registered: ‎09-11-2012
0

Question about Amex closing date.

If my statement closing date is the 15th, can I charge something on the 14th and not be posted in the statement? 

 

I'm thinking if period closing date is 15 and the statement will cut on the 16?

 

Also, I don't think the pending charges are going to drop in 1-2 day(s) and be included in the statement?

 

What do you guys think?

 

14: charge something at store

15: closing date, statement cut?

16: pending charged are posted? or maybe too soon?

 

I'm good to go?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.


armbenderc wrote:

If my statement closing date is the 15th, can I charge something on the 14th and not be posted in the statement? 

 

I'm thinking if period closing date is 15 and the statement will cut on the 16?

 

Also, I don't think the pending charges are going to drop in 1-2 day(s) and be included in the statement?

 

What do you guys think?

 

14: charge something at store

15: closing date, statement cut?

16: pending charged are posted? or maybe too soon?

 

I'm good to go?


Unless your applying for new credit / mortgage / car loan / etc who cares? It won't matter 1 bit.

 

But generally if your applying for those things very soon, pay it off 3-4 days before statement hits. and Don't use your card for those days. Buy a Visa gift card to get you buy if it must be =P or use a Charge card for those times.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,339
Registered: ‎09-11-2012
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.


distantarray wrote:

armbenderc wrote:

If my statement closing date is the 15th, can I charge something on the 14th and not be posted in the statement? 

 

I'm thinking if period closing date is 15 and the statement will cut on the 16?

 

Also, I don't think the pending charges are going to drop in 1-2 day(s) and be included in the statement?

 

What do you guys think?

 

14: charge something at store

15: closing date, statement cut?

16: pending charged are posted? or maybe too soon?

 

I'm good to go?


Unless your applying for new credit / mortgage / car loan / etc who cares? It won't matter 1 bit.

 

But generally if your applying for those things very soon, pay it off 3-4 days before statement hits. and Don't use your card for those days. Buy a Visa gift card to get you buy if it must be =P or use a Charge card for those times.


I'm in the garden, so I won't be applying for anything soon lol Smiley Very Happy

 

Anyway, I just don't like having my statement cut with balance on it. I think I should be fine, the charges won't post before closing period anyway, specially if it's the day before closing.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.

pending still usually reports for most cards ime, ymmv


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.


armbenderc wrote:

distantarray wrote:

armbenderc wrote:

If my statement closing date is the 15th, can I charge something on the 14th and not be posted in the statement? 

 

I'm thinking if period closing date is 15 and the statement will cut on the 16?

 

Also, I don't think the pending charges are going to drop in 1-2 day(s) and be included in the statement?

 

What do you guys think?

 

14: charge something at store

15: closing date, statement cut?

16: pending charged are posted? or maybe too soon?

 

I'm good to go?


Unless your applying for new credit / mortgage / car loan / etc who cares? It won't matter 1 bit.

 

But generally if your applying for those things very soon, pay it off 3-4 days before statement hits. and Don't use your card for those days. Buy a Visa gift card to get you buy if it must be =P or use a Charge card for those times.


I'm in the garden, so I won't be applying for anything soon lol Smiley Very Happy

 

Anyway, I just don't like having my statement cut with balance on it. I think I should be fine, the charges won't post before closing period anyway, specially if it's the day before closing.


I understand that people get in this habit, but there is a (potential) cost of sorts.  On each card that you do this, you are losing ~20 day float of the money.  Over time, with a 1% account say, it can add up.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.


distantarray wrote:

pending still usually reports for most cards ime, ymmv


I'm just the opposite, I'll regularally have stuff post after my statement date that I charged before the cutoff...  it's nice to put that over onto the next months budget Smiley Wink

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,339
Registered: ‎09-11-2012
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.


distantarray wrote:

pending still usually reports for most cards ime, ymmv


That's true, I remember on my Amex Green, closing date was like 13 or something and I charge on the 12, it wasn't in the statement and nothing is due. Reported 0 balance still. I know it doesn't matter on a charge card.

 

The one I am asking is for the BCE, maybe it is different?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Question about Amex closing date.


armbenderc wrote:

distantarray wrote:

pending still usually reports for most cards ime, ymmv


That's true, I remember on my Amex Green, closing date was like 13 or something and I charge on the 12, it wasn't in the statement and nothing is due. Reported 0 balance still. I know it doesn't matter on a charge card.

 

The one I am asking is for the BCE, maybe it is different?


Only the transactions that post to your account by 2359 on your closing date will be reported, that is my experience.  and it's hard to tell what transactions will be closed in that time frame..

 

for example if my closing date is the 15th, I have had some charges on the 15th that closed same day and others on the 13th that didn't close until after my statement cut.  there is no real rhyme or reason to it.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.