Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex soft pulls

tag
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

Question about Amex soft pulls

As an Amex Zync cardholder, do I have to log into my account to apply for another Amex to ensure that I only get a soft pull in case of a denial? How does it work? If I apply for the card directly without logging in, would the system recognize that I'm an existing Amex cardmember by my social security number and therefore only do a soft pull if the application is denied? I really don't want to take another unnecesary hard pull on my report right now unless it results in approval.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dondilio
Valued Member

Re: Question about Amex soft pulls

Hi NewYorkGuy,

I'm a ZYNC cardholder as well. In the past I've tried applying for other AMEX cards using the standard app (without logging into my account since it would give me an error). Not one time didit ever did a hard pull. It always used that most recent soft pull they had in their system. Approvals and recons on the other hand will always result on a fresh pull. My experience was applying for better charge cards. Not sure if it's the same when applying for revolvers. Hope this helps.

Starting scores (FICO): 1/4/2011 TU: 536 EQ: 532 EX: ???
Current scores (FICO): 9/10/2014 TU: 715 EQ : 720 EX: 732
AMEX PRG: NPSL; AMEX Hilton Surpass: $5800; AMEX Blue: $7500;
DIscover IT: $8500; Fidelity Visa Signature: $5000; CITI AAdvantage WEMC: $2200; Capital One Venture One: $4000; Santander JetBlue MC: $5000; Wells Fargo Visa (secured that eventually graduated): $1600; Nordstrom Visa Signature: $5000 Store cards: Sam's Club: $3900; Home Depot: $4000 Fired: First Premier; Cap One (secured and Orchard); Barclays, AMEX Zync with PSL.
Message 2 of 5
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@dondilio wrote:

Hi NewYorkGuy,

I'm a ZYNC cardholder as well. In the past I've tried applying for other AMEX cards using the standard app (without logging into my account since it would give me an error). Not one time didit ever did a hard pull. It always used that most recent soft pull they had in their system. Approvals and recons on the other hand will always result on a fresh pull. My experience was applying for better charge cards. Not sure if it's the same when applying for revolvers. Hope this helps.

if your on the amex website you can put in your card number for the short version. 

you dont have to be logged in. 

mine was having issues though. 

did an app over the phone. 

the rep looked up my account. 

i was declined and was only a soft pull. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

My app on 1/1 was after I logged into my account. It ruled up my info and I went from there. I was approved so can't say it would had been SP if denied v

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

YMMV, but there have been enough times that I app'd while logged in and while not logged in that have resulted in a hard pull. Usually, when I app while logged in, it gives me a message saying something to the effect of "this offer is no longer available....", but there have been times in the past when I didn't receive this message, yet it resulted in a hard pull. For my PRG Amex card back in November, I applied without logging on and was approved, but I was able to get my card backdated to the same date that I opened my Zync.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.