Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about BT & Earning Rewards

tag
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Question about BT & Earning Rewards

I'm wondering if it's possible to earn UR points if you make a purchase on CSP and then complete a balance transfer from the CSP to another card. I only ask because I have to make a large purchase, and I'm planning on transfering to a 0% BT offer on another card. 

I know some cards wait until a payment before issuing points. Thanks!

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about BT & Earning Rewards

@WLRK11 wrote:

I'm wondering if it's possible to earn UR points if you make a purchase on CSP and then complete a balance transfer from the CSP to another card. I only ask because I have to make a large purchase, and I'm planning on transfering to a 0% BT offer on another card. What about AMEX SPG? 

If you can't afford it....

Message 2 of 14
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

I'm wondering if it's possible to earn UR points if you make a purchase on CSP and then complete a balance transfer from the CSP to another card. I only ask because I have to make a large purchase, and I'm planning on transfering to a 0% BT offer on another card. What about AMEX SPG? 

Nixon: 

Thanks for the laughs! (And, in your own, twisted way, thanks for your concern.) Fortunately, with cash on hand (excluding investments, ect.)  I am able to buy this item thousands of times over. 

With that being said, I am young, and do not consider the assets and LP interests in my name as earned - they are instead my birthright. Therefore, I have a budget with a savings goal and as we near the end of the year, this purchase will throw off my savings forecast. I plan to use the 0% interest to buy me time (after all, isn't that the concept of interest? The time value of money?) 

BTW, I'd like to reference Revelate's post entitled: Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful. I suggest that you read it from top to bottom. Before you click that "Post" button next time, ask yourself if your content above is helpful to the OP and the community. 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WLRK11 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

Nixon: 

Thanks for the laughs! (And, in your own, twisted way, thanks for your concern.) Fortunately, with cash on hand (excluding investments, ect.)  I am able to buy this item thousands of times over. 

With that being said, I am young, and do not consider the assets and LP interests in my name as earned - they are instead my birthright. Therefore, I have a budget with a savings goal and as we near the end of the year, this purchase will throw off my savings forecast. I plan to use the 0% interest to buy me time (after all, isn't that the concept of interest? The time value of money?) 

BTW, I'd like to reference Revelate's post entitled: Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful. I suggest that you read it from top to bottom. Before you click that "Post" button next time, ask yourself if your content above is helpful to the OP and the community. 

As opposed to encouraging you to get into debt without knowing your particular fiscal situation?

What if all your other cards were maxed out and you got a CSP and some BT friendly other card out of pure luck and wanted to buy something you couldn't afford now, but wanted the points for.

I prefer to err on the side of caution. I also encourage anyone to correct me as to their situation and I will gladly reciprocate in kind.

So if it makes you feel better. Sorry for inadvertedly calling you a deadbeat. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome for the laughs BTW. Those are complimentary. I've never been known to be much for conformity either. But thanks for the suggestion.

I'll take it under advisement. Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 14
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Straight from the Chase Sapphire Preferred with Ultimate Rewards Program Rules and Regulations:

Earning Rewards: You will earn 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases. You will earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases made in any of the following categories: travel; dining at restaurants. You will also earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of airfare and hotel accommodation net purchases when you book at chase.com/ultimaterewards (for a total of 3 points). (“Net Purchases” are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your Account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your Account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) 

I hope this helps. 

Message 6 of 14
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

I would not recommend this, especially if you want to maintain a healthy relationship with Chase. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 7 of 14
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@WLRK11 wrote:

Straight from the Chase Sapphire Preferred with Ultimate Rewards Program Rules and Regulations:

Earning Rewards: You will earn 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases. You will earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases made in any of the following categories: travel; dining at restaurants. You will also earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of airfare and hotel accommodation net purchases when you book at chase.com/ultimaterewards (for a total of 3 points). (“Net Purchases” are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your Account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your Account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) 

I hope this helps. 

+1

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 8 of 14
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:

I would not recommend this, especially if you want to maintain a healthy relationship with Chase. 

+1 

Now there's some great input!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WLRK11 wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

+1 

Now there's some great input!

A payment is a payment regardless if it's a BT or it came from your bank account.

They would not see it negatively.

So OP, Do you accept my apology, which I promise was genuine. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.