Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Barclay's/ request for CLI

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

Question about Barclay's/ request for CLI

Hi everyone,  is it actually true that requesting cli's with Barclay is usually every six months, the last time I requested a cli was in November of last year since then I would check to see if the form was available to request a cli but it just would not be there only a message stating I was not eligible as I was recently given one, well this morning I happened to check again and the form is there now but it only has been 4 months, NEED ADVICE has anyone recieved a cli within a 4 months span with any Barclay's card, should I chance it with a request or should I just wait until May when it will be six months thanks for any information....

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about Barclay's/ request for CLI

Are you aware that it will be a HP?

IMO I would wait it out to a little after the 6th month and see if they give you an auto cli, if they dont then request it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 12
eharley0142
Valued Member

I was in a similar situation. After 6 months, I got an automatic CLI from $1200 to $2300. Then I waited another 6 months, didn't get an automatic CLI, so I decided to request an increase to $4000 total. That request was approved. This week, about 4 months later, I noticed that I could again request an increase. On the website, I asked for a $4000 increase to a total CL of $8000. That was not automatically approved, but someone called my phone later in the day and said while they couldn't give me the full increase I had requested, they could give me an increase of $2000 to my now total CL of $6000.

I only have two credit cards in my name: the Barclays Apple card and Orchard Bank ($450 CL, $35 AF). I have some others on my report, but those are because I'm an authorized user on my son's accounts. I'm going to keep pushing the Barclays card to see how far they will let me go with it.

These days, my credit report is pretty good (~720 FICO). I have had the Orchard Card for 6 years, a car loan (refinanced a couple times to lower rates) for the last 2.5 years, and a home mortgage for the last 1.5 years. The two baddies I have are big ones: I have a chapter 7 bankruptcy that will age off this Fall, and a tax lien that will age off next month. 

I was going to wait until the tax lien aged off next month to request the CLI from Barclays, but I need to purchase an expensive plane ticket and I didn't want to max out the card in case I needed it during the trip. Luckily, I was able to get some breathing room.

Message 3 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Speaking of Barclay's, you might want to wait before requesting CLI.

I just received a promo where you can write a check to yourself ($5K at 0% for 18 months with 2%), and they will automatically increase the CL by the amount of the check. 

So, it's a 2% fee for a CL and 0% for the next 18 months.

Message 4 of 12
compassion101
Established Contributor

Wow, thats a nice deal Open. When did you get that? I wonder if it's just a test market group though.

Message 5 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

Wow, thats a nice deal Open. When did you get that? I wonder if it's just a test market group though.

Got it on Friday, before the weekend. 

It was for my US Airways card, which I got for the 40K sign up bonus on first purchase, and literally have never used again.  They keep sending me balance checks, which I ignore.  I noticed that every new one keeps getting better.  Initially, it was 5% fee (8 months 0% promo), then 3% (12% promo), and now it's 2% fee (and about 18 months 0% promo) + increase of CL.

I'm not sure if it's a Barclay thing, or just the US Airways Baclay offers, as enticement to remain loyal for the AA merger, and the likelihood of Citi taking over the CC for the new AA/US airline.

Message 6 of 12
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

So would it affect one's credit to do so ??? The balance transfer to get the cli I mean

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 7 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
So would it affect one's credit to do so ??? The balance transfer to get the cli I mean

Ah, it would affect Utility, and if you carry a balance.  Aside from that, I'd imagine it's a very positive thing, assuming one wanted a CL and needed 0% promo rate for an extended time.  2% is a reasonable fee to pay, in my view.

Message 8 of 12
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I would only want to do it if it will net me a cli on barclays rewards mastercard. I'd write myself a check, deposit it in my account, and immediately pay it back. I have to check what was written on the letter they sent me with some checks yesterday. I do remember quickly glancing at the letter and it saying something about my credit line

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 9 of 12
tray
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Speaking of Barclay's, you might want to wait before requesting CLI.

I just received a promo where you can write a check to yourself ($5K at 0% for 18 months with 2%), and they will automatically increase the CL by the amount of the check. 

So, it's a 2% fee for a CL and 0% for the next 18 months.

Boy your are lucky congrats I wish I could recieve an offer like that I only have been getting 0%apr for 12 months with 3% balance transfer fee, I know when it comes to Barclay's this bank are on the conservative side when it comes to giving out cli's I already have 10,000 on my B&N Mastercard I think my only way around this is probably a hard pull and bet you possible denial or analyst will state to transfer funds from my Apple Card.  Will keep this forum posted on my demise!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.