Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about CLI

tag
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Question about CLI

Do you have to use your card to get a CLI? Some if my credit cards are in sock drawer and I'm not really planning of using it.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: Question about CLI

This is one of the YMMV situations.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 2 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Depends on lender, depends on your CR, income, history and relationship with lender.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Should I just charge like small amount just to get it going?
Message 4 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

U could just charge small amounts every few months to keep the account open. If its a card u won't use why do u need a CLI on it in the first place?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

To get more credit utility.
Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Why not just pay down your debt, and then work on getting cards or CLI on cards that you actually need and will use?
There's no need to stack CL on cards that are useless to you.

Your utilization percentage is just one of the many factors lenders look at.

For example, someone might have 50k income, owe 30k of credit card debt, and have 5% utilization. That is still going to spook the hell out of any lender.
Message 7 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Well...I don't owe any money to my credit card total debt I have is +\- $500. I only use one primary card for my everyday. The rest are in the sock drawer. The reason for this that I want to apply CSP card on my bday and I want to get a nice CL when do get approve for it. At the same time if some or all my credit card have really good CL then chase would be able to give me nice CL in the end. I always PiF each month so I don't carry a balance.
Message 8 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

The only reason I can't apply for CSP is because I had two CO that is going to fall off next month so my CR would be totally clean. I applied for CSP card last month and I got decline for it because of the CO so they told me when those falls off I can re apply again.
Message 9 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

You will be approved for csp if they say so. Don't worry too much about it. I understand what you are going through because I was nervous if I was going to get approved either.

Your income, length of credit history and your credit report are the main determinants of what your CL is going to be. Other factors play a really small role and you shouldn't really care or worry about it because its not worth the time or effort.

Best of luck!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.