Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Care Credit Usage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Care Credit Usage

We're planning on getting a dog (or maybe two? Smiley Wink) soon, so I went ahead and applied for a care credit card for future emergency situations and was approved with a $3,500SL.

Now I am wondering: what if I won't have any emergency situations in the future / what will I have to do to keep the account active and prevent account closure? Should/can I occasionally put general medical expenses (for example for routine check-ups) on the card?

Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
txtjjs
Valued Member

Re: Question about Care Credit Usage

I just ran into to this as well. It depends on your doctor. A lot do take it, but not all. Also, some may have a minimum before they allow you to use it. My eye dr requires a $100 minimum to use CareCredit. If you have a Rite Aid near you, that would probably be the easiest way since it's accepted there.
Message 2 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
We're planning on getting a dog (or maybe two? Smiley Wink) soon, so I went ahead and applied for a care credit card for future emergency situations and was approved with a $3,500SL.

Now I am wondering: what if I won't have any emergency situations in the future / what will I have to do to keep the account active and prevent account closure? Should/can I occasionally put general medical expenses (for example for routine check-ups) on the card?

Thank you in advance!

You may want to.   Some have reported having no usage for 12 months and then experiencing account closure.   I went for about 15 months of no activity on mine (finally used it at Rite Aid).

If you live near a Rite Aid, go in and buy yourself an ice cream cone every once in a while, if you need activity.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 14
MrsAngelo
Established Member

Thefirtree I got a puppy in October. Didn't get pet insurance until a week later. In the meantime, I found out my dog has a congenital heart disease and wouldn't live longer than a year or 2 without surgery. Several thousand dollars later and I'm buried in cc debt to cover the costs. So if it were me I would keep it just in case. Also, don't make the same mistake I did grab good pet insurance. Enjoy your dog(s)!!! They are amazing companions.
Message 4 of 14
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Care Credit will def close your card after 12 months of no use. I just had this happen. I had an emergency with one of my cats. Checked the Care Credit site and the vet was listed there, applied for the card got approved and found out my vet did not take the card like advertised on the site. Sigh. We have no Rite Aids here and I had no where I could swipe the card to show usage and they closed my account right after the 12 month hit. I mean with in days of the statement cycle closing they don't play around. I had tried calling and explaining I wanted to keep the account open just incase I needed for the dentist or anything and they told me I'd have to reapply if that situation arose.

Message 5 of 14
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

Care credit was my first credit card years back. Got it when I had some significant dental work. Anyhow, I now use it for vet expenses. Depending on your vet it doesn't necessarily need to be on emergencies. I have used it for annual expenses for my dogs, vaccinations and preventative treatments I get through my vets office. I only use it twice a year when I bring my dogs in.

I also read you can use it at Rite Aid as well.
Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 6 of 14
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I last used my Care Credit in July 2015 for a dental expense that ran around $450 and never used it again. Account still open and credit limit intact as of right now.

Message 7 of 14
fritscher
Regular Contributor

another question..i have not used my care credit for a year but still ahve a couple hundred dollars balance on it..they would not close it as long as I have balance right? dumb question probably

Message 8 of 14
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@fritscher wrote:

another question..i have not used my care credit for a year but still ahve a couple hundred dollars balance on it..they would not close it as long as I have balance right? dumb question probably

Payments are considered activity. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 9 of 14
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

If you live near a Rite Aid, go in and buy yourself an ice cream cone every once in a while, if you need activity.  

Ice Cream cone?? 

Get something a little more exciting, like a bottle of 12 year old Irish Whiskey!😀

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.