cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Chase Credit Card and Chase taking money...

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Question about Chase Credit Card and Chase taking money...

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with havig a chase checking/savings and a chase credit card going bad and them taking all the money in your other accounts??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about Chase Credit Card and Chase taking money...

That's a good question.  I personally have no idea but would be interested in someone's experience with that situation.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

never heard of this happening, but I know Bank of America did not when I defaulted on their credit card 13 years ago lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with havig a chase checking/savings and a chase credit card going bad and them taking all the money in your other accounts??

I have not had the experience,  but if you look at their terms and conditions, you will see that they can do it. It is the Right of Setoff - they can withdraw from any or all of your deposit accounts to bring a deliquent account current. CU's have this too - and tend to use it earlier from what I have seen. (This is normally referred to as cross-collateralization with a CU).

BOA does it very quickly. My daughter had a checking account and cc with BOA and they overdrafted her checking to "pay" the cc to current. She found out the hard way.

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I have not had the experience,  but if you look at their terms and conditions, you will see that they can do it. It is the Right of Setoff - they can withdraw from any or all of your deposit accounts to bring a deliquent account current. CU's have this too - and tend to use it earlier from what I have seen. (This is normally referred to as cross-collateralization with a CU).

BOA does it very quickly. My daughter had a checking account and cc with BOA and they overdrafted her checking to "pay" the cc to current. She found out the hard way.

it's been a while since I have heard of it happening... If they can't bring it current by taking checking balance does that mean they won't take any Smiley Tongue

LOL

Message 5 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I don't know. But when BOA did it to my daughter they took a large amount from her checking and she diidn't have it in there so it started a whole bunch of NSF's. Is it a temporary thing you are going through or do you think its going to be extended?  If it's temporary then call and make arrangements. If its going to be extended, close your deposit accounts while you still can do it.

Message 6 of 9
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Chase can not do that for a credit card.

Banks are prohibited from offsetting funds in your normal deposit accounts to pay a credit card, unless they do so through a process that is as equally available to other creditors (for example a court judgement and a levy).

They can do it for other types of loans -- overdraft, line of credit, car loan, etc. (provided the account agreements notify you, which they usually do) 

Credit Unions have a different regulator, and have less restriction on what they can offset.

I have no idea why the regulators have decided to treat credit cards differently than other types of loans, but they have.

Message 7 of 9
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

No idea with Chase.  When I had my rough patch with BoA they never touched my checking account.  I closed it anyway.  Are you being curious or are you in trouble with Chase?  If the latter, I'd call them up and talk to them before you let it even get to that point. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 8 of 9
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

I was majorily delinquent on my account, and had defaulted, and they never touched my deposit accounts. I went all the way to 120 days late (the day before charging off) without them offsetting.

As bostonte mentioned, I don't think they're allowed to.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.