Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Chase Freedom 5% category "Airlines, Hotel, Gas"

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Question about Chase Freedom 5% category "Airlines, Hotel, Gas"

I want to book a flight on July 1 with my Chase Freedom to avail myself of the 5% category. Will flights purchased online through your typical websites (such as Orbitz, Vayama, Statravel, Kayak, Cheaptickets etc.) count as "airline" or do you have to book directly through the airline?

Your input based on previous experience is appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Question about Chase Freedom 5% category "Airlines, Hotel, Gas"

@wollepopolle wrote:

I want to book a flight on July 1 with my Chase Freedom to avail myself of the 5% category. Will flights purchased online through your typical websites (such as Orbitz, Vayama, Statravel, Kayak, Cheaptickets etc.) count as "airline" or do you have to book directly through the airline?

That's a good question!  I want to know the answer to that too. 

Message 2 of 10
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I would also like to know.

When you find the answer, please post!

Thanks!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 3 of 10
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Can anyone answer this question? So many curious people but no answers so far....

Message 4 of 10
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

Pretty sure they do. Most of those sites are associated with one or more airlines, so it's not like you're getting "wholesale" tickets, 99% of the time it's the same rate as you can pull from the Airline's site.
------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, no I don't think they are included.

Chase Freedom FAQ

If anyone knows whether gas purchases listed as "vehicle expenses" on the statement apply towards this promotion, I would like an answer Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

Whenever I've booked from those sites in the past, it would book 2 transactions...one was the ticket which billed directly from the airline and then any associated fees made up the 2nd transaction.  Those would be booked by the travel agency.  If it's still billed this way, you'd get credit for the actual ticket. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 10
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Twistoff, good link and informative read! Thanks.

Oftentimes, I do find the meta search sites cheaper than the airlines' websites. I'll certainly double check but I won't book a flight that is $200 more expensive just to get the $75 cashback. That makes no sense.

As usual, if you don't read the fine-print, Chase (and many other banks) will disappoint you.They could easily expand their "travel" category to travel agencies. Bank of America has had a special offer recently, and they've expressly included this category. I think Chase's rewards definition is easy to mistake for what it is not. For me, a small B&B should of course be honored as a travel purchase. But of course it isn't.

Nasty fine-print. I'll make sure to stay one step ahead of Chase.

Visorboy, you might be right but I am very nervous to book it that way, not knowing if the two charges will actually happen.I've purchased tickets from Vayama in the past, and there was no direct airline charge.

Message 8 of 10
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

The same seat on the same flight won't be $200 more b/t travel sites...it just doesn't happen anymore. I have found at most a $9-10 difference b/t certain sites. And occasionally you can find a coupon for Expedia that might knock off 10%, which is cool (more often for hotels). I got credit from Discover for flights booked through expedia before...and like the other poster said, its usually billed straight from the airline. 

I'm sharing my experiences from booking mainly economy class tickets...if you're discussing first-class, perhaps there could be some deviation there...but doubtful. The internet is way too competitive with airline booking to have huge swings in pricing for the same seat.

About the only "trick" left is timing. 

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 9 of 10
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Good tips. Much appreciated.

\However, I just re-checked a trip that I recently booked. On Sta Travel the ticket is still almost $200 cheaper than on Air France's website. I tried all different variables. Still, Air France is more expensive. We're talking the exact same flight here.

The next tickets I book will be with another airline. I will try and compare various sites and see if using the Chase Freedom makes sense.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.