Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Chip and Pin cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Chip and Pin cards

AFAIK I have 4 Chip and PIN cards; NFCU, NASA, PenFed and Diners Club. Of the 4 which one(s) are the one with PIN priority over signature (not sure of the exact terminology here)? And how do you tell which it is?

And does any any of that matter right now in the US?  I understand that it does overseas.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Chip and Pin cards

@Anonymous wrote:

AFAIK I have 4 Chip and PIN cards; NFCU, NASA, PenFed and Diners Club. Of the 4 which one(s) are the one with PIN priority over signature (not sure of the exact terminology here)? And how do you tell which it is?

And does any any of that matter right now in the US?  I understand that it does overseas.

Currently, none of it matters in the US, unless it is a specific PIN terminal, which I have only seen once in the past year (in Dallas).  As for oversees, my experience is that it is PIN over signature on automated machines (subway/parking, etcSmiley Happy and either at retail locations.

The only card I have that you have listed is the NFCU card, however, I have not used it abroad.  I am speaking generally based on the other cards I have.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently, none of it matters in the US, unless it is a specific PIN terminal, which I have only seen once in the past year (in Dallas).  As for oversees, my experience is that it is PIN over signature on automated machines (subway/parking, etcSmiley Happy and either at retail locations.

The only card I have that you have listed is the NFCU card, however, I have not used it abroad.  I am speaking generally based on the other cards I have.

Thanks!  One day I'll understand all of this.  At least I hope.

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW, , which card do you tend to use abroad?

Message 4 of 36
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!  One day I'll understand all of this.  At least I hope.

One day, you shouldnt have to.  Eventually they will all be Chip & Pin cards (or at least thats the hope).  Currently, the Chip and Signature is a stop-gap measure to meet federal requirements...

Message 5 of 36
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW, , which card do you tend to use abroad?

If in Europe or UK, I tend use my Lloyds Bank Visa for small purchases.  Other areas and larger purchases and/or rentals/hotels, I use either Amex Platinum or Merril Lynch.

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Well I have 1/3.  Other two are out of my league.

Message 7 of 36
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not for long Smiley Wink

If you want a great true Chip & Pin card that I have had great success with using at those annoying self-service pin only kiosks... Wells Fargo Platinum has saved me more times than I can count.  I also have a much better experience with Wells Fargo than some on this board.  For me, they have always been exceptionally helpful.

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not for long Smiley Wink

If you want a great true Chip & Pin card that I have had great success with using at those annoying self-service pin only kiosks... Wells Fargo Platinum has saved me more times than I can count.  I also have a much better experience with Wells Fargo than some on this board.  For me, they have always been exceptionally helpful.

I'll have to look into WF.  I have avoided them because of stories I've read on here

Message 9 of 36
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Tons of data on Flyertalk on Chip & Pin

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.