Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover IT Double Cashback

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about Discover IT Double Cashback

@barthooper wrote:

Do you have to bank the cashback rewards for the year in order to have them all be doubled? This seems silly but it is one impression you can take from reading the terms. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks again.

After the first 12 consecutive billing periods that your new account is open, we will double all of the cash back rewards you've earned and apply them to your account in the next billing cycle. You've earned rewards when they have posted to your account by the end of the 12th consecutive billing period

It says "earned" and not "current rewards balance" but you can also refer to their FAQ.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/double-faqs.html

@kdm31091 wrote:

I haven't spent my rewards and will probably just wait to see them doubled. Admittedly, I don't see getting a ton of use out of Discover anytime soon. Q4 includes amazon, department and clothing stores. While nice, it's nothing I plan to spend a ton on. I may use dept stores or clothing for holiday shopping and maybe one or two purchases on amazon but don't plan on anything earth shattering.

Q1 is usually gas, which is unexciting for me. Restaurants will be the next time the card is of large use to me, and luckily that should be Q2, although of course nothing is guaranteed.

I like the double promo, but trying to make sure I don't go out and spend just because of it.

Don't have Apple Pay and IOS 9?  Someone else already mentioned it but there's also Discover Deals.  Cash back isn' t just the quarterly rotating categories.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

However, many people are saving them as a way of keeping track of the rewards and making sure they get properly doubled. 

I am doing just that. I have only redeemed $1, because Amazon has a $5 off promotion if you pay for "part" of your purchase with your Discover rewards. I paid for a purchase with $1 rewards to get the $5 off, and the rest of it went on my Discover. I don't plan to use the rewards for anything until I see it all doubled. At that point, I am hoping that I will have enough in cash back to pay for an entire month's worth of bills! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I haven't spent my rewards and will probably just wait to see them doubled. Admittedly, I don't see getting a ton of use out of Discover anytime soon. Q4 includes amazon, department and clothing stores. While nice, it's nothing I plan to spend a ton on. I may use dept stores or clothing for holiday shopping and maybe one or two purchases on amazon but don't plan on anything earth shattering.

Q1 is usually gas, which is unexciting for me. Restaurants will be the next time the card is of large use to me, and luckily that should be Q2, although of course nothing is guaranteed.

I like the double promo, but trying to make sure I don't go out and spend just because of it.

I am trying to remain concious of the same thing. I don't think that I am overspending, but I definitely compare prices on Amazon and Ebay now. If I can get something for the same price on Amazon that ebay has, I will use Amazon because of the defacto 10% cash back. I am basically running all expenses through Discover because it has the best return of all of my cards right now (except for gas and groceries for which I use BCE for 3%).

Message 13 of 17
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

However, many people are saving them as a way of keeping track of the rewards and making sure they get properly doubled. 

I am doing just that. I have only redeemed $1, because Amazon has a $5 off promotion if you pay for "part" of your purchase with your Discover rewards. I paid for a purchase with $1 rewards to get the $5 off, and the rest of it went on my Discover. I don't plan to use the rewards for anything until I see it all doubled. At that point, I am hoping that I will have enough in cash back to pay for an entire month's worth of bills! Smiley Happy

Can you link to that or elaborate? I went to Amazon's page about paying with Discover rewards and didn't see anything about that. Thanks.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barthooper wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you link to that or elaborate? I went to Amazon's page about paying with Discover rewards and didn't see anything about that. Thanks.

It was an option that popped up when I was about to complete my order. It gave me a promo code to enter once I chose the $1 in rewards. I just looked back at order details to see if it would show me the code, but it just says "SWP Promo -$5.00" If I remember correctly, the pop up looked to be targeted to those who had never redeemed Discover reward dollarson Amazon before. I am pretty sure there was some language in there about this $5 off for the first time you use reward dollars from Discover to pay for part of an Amazon purchase.

Message 15 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It was an option that popped up when I was about to complete my order. It gave me a promo code to enter once I chose the $1 in rewards. I just looked back at order details to see if it would show me the code, but it just says "SWP Promo -$5.00" If I remember correctly, the pop up looked to be targeted to those who had never redeemed Discover reward dollarson Amazon before. I am pretty sure there was some language in there about this $5 off for the first time you use reward dollars from Discover to pay for part of an Amazon purchase.

I haven't received the Discover offer before, but I have got that same offer for redeeming Amex MR points a few months back.  I'm not certain, but I think I had redeemed MR points on Amazon previously before I got the 'offer'. 

It was definitely a pleasant surprise! 

Message 16 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Nope no iphone,  and not gonna spend ~$600 or more to get one for cash back that will never cancel out that purchase price with my spend. I'm really not interested in doing mobile payments anyway...trying to spend less time on my smartphone, not more.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.