Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover Recon

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Question about Discover Recon

My wife received an invite to apply for the Discover More card. She called and was denied. I gave her the recon# and the lady just told her that they could not currently reevaluate the application. So should she just let it go or try to recon again?

Her current EQ FICO they pulled is 633.

She had several settlements and derogs several years ago, but nothing since then. 

Thanks

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Discover Recon

@j_casteel wrote:

My wife received an invite to apply for the Discover More card. She called and was denied. I gave her the recon# and the lady just told her that they could not currently reevaluate the application. So should she just let it go or try to recon again?

She had several settlements and derogs several years ago, but nothing since then. 

Thanks

yes try again, she already took the hard pull. Don't give up.  Though i'm not sure if her score is high enough, but i'm no expert here. I was approved with a 692 i believe, but ya it's worth it to try again!

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 2 of 6
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

Thanks

yes try again, she already took the hard pull. Don't give up.  Though i'm not sure if her score is high enough, but i'm no expert here. I was approved with a 692 i believe, but ya it's worth it to try again!

thats what i told her. she's going to try again tomorrow, and perhaps one more time after that. after three recons and if still not approved i think she may just call it quits and try again later. she's just kind of dissappointed that she got the invite in the mail and now that act like she's contagious to be around. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 3 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Before you try a recon wait until you receive the denial letter. Depending for what reason Discover denied the application you may  or may not want to do the recon.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

i heard someone recon 3 times and get success......Try harder.....Ask them why they give her invite to apply and then denied.

Call backdoor number ....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@nicholasyud wrote:

i heard someone recon 3 times and get success......Try harder.....Ask them why they give her invite to apply and then denied.

Call backdoor number ....

I would echo AndySoCal's comments.

Plus, not all reconsideration attempts are successful.  As encouraging as your above statement may seem, the OP is best to at least determine why the decline occurred in the first place.  This way, they can plan their strategy to have the application reconsidered based on the denial reasons.  Most underwriting departments keep analysts' notes on their systems documenting the previous decision(s) as applicable.  Often times desperate attempts to have something reconsidered or overturned based on an HP is not always worth it.

Additionally, the CSR or credit analyst will not know why they were invited to apply.  Solicitations (pre-approvals, pre-selected offers, etc.) are sent from the marketing divisions from most lenders or partner companies.  As with any type of solicitation, there is no guarante of approval, it is simply a pre-screened offer.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.