Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Discover on my credit report

Greetings,

So, as you see in my sig, that I went through bankruptcy last year. I was an authorized user on a Discover account which my attorney suggested I remove myself from. I did that, but my EQ credit report is posting that the account was charged off in bankruptcy, even though it's not my account and the account is still open and in good standing. I tried disputing with EQ about the issue, but they said that the creditor is repporting the info as correct. I assume my next step is to contact Discover directly, but I'm wondering is there is something more specific I'm supposed to tell them beyond the fact that the account isn't mine, it's still in good standing, and my authorization to use the card has been terminated. It's the last negative (aside from bankruptcy) listed on my credit reports and I'd like to get it off as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Discover on my credit report

Submit a complaint with the CFPB, they will force Equifax to remove/update it.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the link, but should I contact Discover first? I don't want to go the route of filing a complaint before I contact the company itself. I assume if I file a complaint, I'll be on the Discover blacklist forever...

Message 3 of 6
jacetx
Valued Contributor

You are filing a compaint against Equifax not Discover. A credit bureau or credit card company cannot retaliate for disputing incorrect information on your reports. This is one of the protections granted to consumers under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act).

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Someone along the line is being an a** hole. As an AU you have 0 responsibility on the account and if you request to remove it, it should be done period.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.