Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Everyday Carry Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Everyday Carry Credit Cards

I have a question.

My everyday spend cards are AMEX BCP (groceries and gas) and Cap One Quicksilver World Elite MC (everything else). These cards gets used for just about everything, except when the wife and I go to Costco or restaurants (she has Costco Visa).

I use Chase Freedom only on the quarters that are meaningful to me (restaurants, wholesale clubs, drug stores).

I am wondering whether I should carry this all year in my wallet along with the other two, just to have a third card for "what if" purposes, and because it is a Visa, or leave it at home?

What do others do, with two heavily used cards and one that is not used 12 months a year?

I am retired and these are the three cards (I think) for the rest of my life. I am tired of signing up for cards !!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about Everyday Carry Credit Cards

To me if you are already carrying 2 around, really no harm in carrying the 3rd with you, aside from potential wallet loss or theft. This way you have your 3 options ready to go. Good for you on being set for your cards. Thats something id like to accomplish one day myselfSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Have you considered applying for... no, just joking.  If the current rewards you are getting work for you, I'd say you're fine just as you are.  It would be extremely rare to run into a merchant that takes Visa but doesn't take MasterCard.  Costco would be an obvious exception.  I carry a handful of cards at all times, but that's because I am either optimizing rewards by using specific cards.  I also use a specific card if I need top-notch protection (Amex Platinum) and carry a card with no balance, a high limit and plentiful cash advance allowance in case of an emeregency.

Message 3 of 6
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

If you're just concerned about carrying the card, you could add it to Android/Apple pay, and leave the physical card at home. There's still a chance that the place won't take contactless payments, but that should decrease over time.

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question.

My everyday spend cards are AMEX BCP (groceries and gas) and Cap One Quicksilver World Elite MC (everything else). These cards gets used for just about everything, except when the wife and I go to Costco or restaurants (she has Costco Visa).

I use Chase Freedom only on the quarters that are meaningful to me (restaurants, wholesale clubs, drug stores).

I am wondering whether I should carry this all year in my wallet along with the other two, just to have a third card for "what if" purposes, and because it is a Visa, or leave it at home?

What do others do, with two heavily used cards and one that is not used 12 months a year?

I am retired and these are the three cards (I think) for the rest of my life. I am tired of signing up for cards !!

Isn't the quicksilver 1.5 percent back?  The Citi Double Cash and cards like Alliant Credit Union give 2 percent back. I would jetison the Quicksilver and get something that gives more back.  

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might not be a bad idea to leave one at home just in case your wallet gets lost or stolen you still have a card at home that you can use until the others are replaced. 

I try to only carry the cards I'm currently using with me, and leave all of the rest at home. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.