Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Inquiries

Quick question. I had several INQ in April 2015. They all have reached a year old now since we're into May, 2016. If I was to apply for a card, would the big 3 see the inquiries from April or not? For example, if a EQ is pulled, will they see 3 inq's under a year old, or with the ones from April 2015 (4) will they see 7 inquiries the past 12 months? Should I wait until June so they only see 3 or is it ok now?

**Just to clarify** I meant do the inquiries still count now or wait another month.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Inquiries

I can still see some inquiries from 2014 that are due to fall off soon, but will be watching what others say to answer your question.

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick question. I had several INQ in April 2015. They all have reached a year old now since we're into May, 2016. If I was to apply for a card, would the big 3 see the inquiries from April or not? For example, if a EQ is pulled, will they see 3 inq's under a year old, or with the ones from April 2015 (4) will they see 7 inquiries the past 12 months? Should I wait until June so they only see 3 or is it ok now?

Creditors will see every inquiry done within the last 2 years so yes they'll see ones from April, 2015.  Inquiries over a year dont count in FICO scoring but they remain on your reports for 24 months for EQ and TU and 25 months for EX

Message 3 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They will "see" your inquiries going back 24 months, but only those going back 12 months will be factored into your FICO score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 3 big CRA can definitely still see the INQs, because they are not removed for 2 years; however, I don't know what the lender will see because all of the monitoring services I use quits showing INQs once they reach 1 year old - but I know they are still on my actual credit reports because when I pull my reports for free each year I still see ALL of the INQs going back 2 years.

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditors will see every inquiry done within the last 2 years so yes they'll see ones from April, 2015.  Inquiries over a year dont count in FICO scoring but they remain on your reports for 24 months for EQ and TU and 25 months for EX

Irish - I totally understand that, and I should have been more clear. I know they see them for 2 years, but after a year they don't count. So, I guess my questin is, usiing EQ as an example, today, will they count as 3 or 7? My last inquiry last April was on April 20, 2015. 

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Irish - I totally understand that, and I should have been more clear. I know they see them for 2 years, but after a year they don't count. So, I guess my questin is, usiing EQ as an example, today, will they count as 3 or 7? My last inquiry last April was on April 20, 2015. 

They'll still count as 7 overall.  Now whether any particular creditor will care is another thing.  Some reportedly only care about inquiries in the last 6 months.  I don't think we will ever know for sure how any of them specfically view the number of inquiries that an applicant has.  I will say this from my experience though.  Most creditors care very little about the number of inquiries you have if the rest of your credit profile is strong.  When someone is denied for a new card or CLI and the reason given is 'number of inquiries' it usually means that there is something in your profile that they dont like and use the number of inquiries to fulfill the requirements of FCRA but that's not the real reason that you were denied.

Message 7 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The inquiries still exist for 24 months. They do not factor into FICO scoring after a year, but for purposes of apping, especially manual review, yes they are still there.

Many creditors care more about recent inquiries versus ones over a year old, but they still show credit seeking, and it's still best to let as many fall off as possible before pursuing more apps (especially if you have a lot).

Inquiries in and of themselves are not a big deal; it's more the pattern of aggressive credit seeking that leads to denials.

Curious what card(s)/lenders you are considering as that does somewhat matter. Some are more sensitive to inquiries than others.

Message 8 of 29
amakol
Regular Contributor

Steel, I think what you're asking is whether the inquiries from Apr 2015 are now considered over a year old, instead of whether they appear on your report.

I'd think yes, but I'm not sure - others might know better how up-to-date the timing of the system is. Judging by how 24 month inquiries can take up to a month to fall off, things may also not be that efficient.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

The inquiries still exist for 24 months. They do not factor into FICO scoring after a year, but for purposes of apping, especially manual review, yes they are still there.

Many creditors care more about recent inquiries versus ones over a year old, but they still show credit seeking, and it's still best to let as many fall off as possible before pursuing more apps (especially if you have a lot).

Inquiries in and of themselves are not a big deal; it's more the pattern of aggressive credit seeking that leads to denials.

Curious what card(s)/lenders you are considering as that does somewhat matter. Some are more sensitive to inquiries than others.

It's a local Sheetz gas card. It's issued by FNB Omaha. They can be a PITA to deal with and rejected me last year because of too many inquiries. The FNB Omaha hits were on April 20, 2015 and they hit EX and EQ. I still want the card because of the total of 8 cents off per gallon. My total credit usage is 2% and no card has a balance over $1K, and those that do have a balance are 0% APR intro cards. 

In the past 12 months my EX: 5, EQ: 3, TU 5; Past 24 months EX: 15, EQ: 9, TU: 18. Most of the hits the past 12 months were from our mortgage refinance and when I traded in for my new Toyota Tacoma. The rest in the past 12 months are 2 cards earlier this year for the 0% APR.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.