Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Kay Jewelers and Jared?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Kay Jewelers and Jared?

I opened both Jared and Kay's during the holidays last year and got a $1,500 CL on both cards.  I opened them basically to help my overall utilization.  I have not used either one and wonder if there is a time frame before they close them out for inactivity?  Hopefully, someone will know-thanks in advance!

I learned the hard way about my Target store card when I had not used it in over a year and went on my merry way shopping at the store and the card was declined at the register.  Talk about an embarassing moment!  Now I always call before I use a store card that has been in the sock drawer for a long time.  When I got home I was able to call Target and get the card reactivated.  Kind of deceiving since the account was still showing open with the available credit on my CR.  Anyway, just wondering about inactivity.  BTW, I also have a Dillard's, JC Penney's, and Kohls that are almost 6 months old with no activity.  Should I be concerned about suspension?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Kay Jewelers and Jared?

Crown Jewelers does not report unless you have purchased something with it and paid the down payment. It only reports to TU and EX. You need to purchase something every 6 months or so for it to continue to be active.

I am not sure about your other cards. I would call up each and ask them how often you need to use them to remain active. I believe stores like khol's are usually once every year or two but it is best to check.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I open an account I always use it at least once - even for a small purchase-

No that's BS- I open accounts with a purpose and then I abuse them for my gain.

Use the cards at least once-

Message 3 of 6
future
Frequent Contributor

you should use them at least once every three months.
Message 4 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I haven't used my Jared at all...I've had it six months and it's still active.  I may pop in to get something really small like a watch battery.

Same with JBR...I did use Kay's for $105.

So far, no cli's.
Message 5 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I worked for Kohl's until yesterday.  You're good with once a year there.  Pop in once in a while, buy a card or something, then make an immediate payment.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.