Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Lowes Card and building credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Lowes Card and building credit

I just got appoved for my first credit card today.  I decided to start with Lowes since we're remodeling and have been spending quite a bit there... and will probably be spending there the rest of my life.  The card only has a limit of $300, but it's a foot in the door.  I got the card mainly to help increase my limited credit.  I have a mortage which is six months old, all on-time payments, but that's the extent of my credit history.  I would like to take full advantage of the 5% cash back but I don't want to hurt my credit at all. 

My question is, could I make large purchases and save the 5%, pay it off immediately, and it not affect my credit negatively.  I've read that I should only use about 10% of my credit limit, so should I only spend around $30 a month?  Any tips for using the card would be appreciated since I am a complete newb to the credit world.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Lowes Card and building credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got appoved for my first credit card today.  I decided to start with Lowes since we're remodeling and have been spending quite a bit there... and will probably be spending there the rest of my life.  The card only has a limit of $300, but it's a foot in the door.  I got the card mainly to help increase my limited credit.  I have a mortage which is six months old, all on-time payments, but that's the extent of my credit history.  I would like to take full advantage of the 5% cash back but I don't want to hurt my credit at all. 

My question is, could I make large purchases and save the 5%, pay it off immediately, and it not affect my credit negatively.  I've read that I should only use about 10% of my credit limit, so should I only spend around $30 a month?  Any tips for using the card would be appreciated since I am a complete newb to the credit world.

Question for you:  do you know what report Lowes pulled and what your actual Fico is on that report?  

I'm curious as I want to app for that card in the next week or two!

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.