New Visitor
boredone

Question about Lowes Card and building credit

I just got appoved for my first credit card today.  I decided to start with Lowes since we're remodeling and have been spending quite a bit there... and will probably be spending there the rest of my life.  The card only has a limit of $300, but it's a foot in the door.  I got the card mainly to help increase my limited credit.  I have a mortage which is six months old, all on-time payments, but that's the extent of my credit history.  I would like to take full advantage of the 5% cash back but I don't want to hurt my credit at all. 

My question is, could I make large purchases and save the 5%, pay it off immediately, and it not affect my credit negatively.  I've read that I should only use about 10% of my credit limit, so should I only spend around $30 a month?  Any tips for using the card would be appreciated since I am a complete newb to the credit world.

Established Contributor
awdsmama

Re: Question about Lowes Card and building credit

boredone wrote:

I just got appoved for my first credit card today.  I decided to start with Lowes since we're remodeling and have been spending quite a bit there... and will probably be spending there the rest of my life.  The card only has a limit of $300, but it's a foot in the door.  I got the card mainly to help increase my limited credit.  I have a mortage which is six months old, all on-time payments, but that's the extent of my credit history.  I would like to take full advantage of the 5% cash back but I don't want to hurt my credit at all. 

My question is, could I make large purchases and save the 5%, pay it off immediately, and it not affect my credit negatively.  I've read that I should only use about 10% of my credit limit, so should I only spend around $30 a month?  Any tips for using the card would be appreciated since I am a complete newb to the credit world.

Question for you:  do you know what report Lowes pulled and what your actual Fico is on that report?  

I'm curious as I want to app for that card in the next week or two!

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+