Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Marriott card

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Question about Marriott card

Does the opening CL HAVE to be $5K? I ask because there's currently an $800 balance on my CSP that I'll be paying next month, and I anticipate moving some of my CL from CSP to open the Marriott (Chase has been really hard to get in with). I have a trip coming up and I'd like to use the expenses to go towards the spend bonus, so I don't want to wait until all my 0 balances report and the CSP is paid, the trip will come and go. I'm hoping I can transfer $2K to open, pay off CSP, then transfer the rest of the CL over before the AF comes. Does anyone have any experience in this? Will Chase allow this?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Marriott card

The minimum CL on Marriot, CSP andRitz is 5K to start, I believe on United Club also?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 7
ddemari
Super Contributor

The minimum starting limit on Marriott is 5k. If you have a CSP you should be able to easily get the Marriott visa. 

Message 3 of 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

You would think right? But I've applied at least twice to no avail, so I'm anticipating moving some over. It was pretty easy to get a CLI on my CSP so maybe I can get it to $10K an then split it in half
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 4 of 7
DU556
Regular Contributor

I got started at $13.5k in November 2015

Message 5 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Does the opening CL HAVE to be $5K? I ask because there's currently an $800 balance on my CSP that I'll be paying next month, and I anticipate moving some of my CL from CSP to open the Marriott (Chase has been really hard to get in with). I have a trip coming up and I'd like to use the expenses to go towards the spend bonus, so I don't want to wait until all my 0 balances report and the CSP is paid, the trip will come and go. I'm hoping I can transfer $2K to open, pay off CSP, then transfer the rest of the CL over before the AF comes. Does anyone have any experience in this? Will Chase allow this?

When are you planning to apply? I think it would be best to have the CSP at $0 before applying (I'm not sure if Chase makes you have a $0 balance before being able to move limits but it probably won't hurt!). 

What were the past reasons for denial? 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 6 of 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I wanted to apply by next week, the denial reasons were always about number of recently opened accounts

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.