cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NFCU

New Contributor

Question about NFCU

I have a brother who was honorably  discharged from the army  a few years back because of a medical condition. Am I able to apply to NFCU?
5 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU


monicar2009 wrote:
I have a brother who was honorably  discharged from the army  a few years back because of a medical condition. Am I able to apply to NFCU?

 

No, only active duty, retired military, DoD employees or contractors and their families.  I am trying to get my bro-in-law to join so my sister can become a member and so can I.  He is retired AF and works for DoD.  
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU

NFCU - All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, retirees and annuitants

 

USAA - Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU

monicar2009 wrote:
I have a brother who was honorably  discharged from the army  a few years back because of a medical condition. Am I able to apply to NFCU?

If his medical discharge resulted in a disabillity rating high enough for him to receive a disability pension rather than severance pay he would be eligible to join.

Valued Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU


hobojon wrote:

If his medical discharge resulted in a disabillity rating high enough for him to receive a disability pension rather than severance pay he would be eligible to join.


 

 

He needs to me a member of NFCU to sponsor you.

Just because he once served does not make him eligible for membership.  Just because someone was once in a qualifier for membership does not mean that they can sposor someone at all times.  Like a happy credit granting bacteria NFCU Membership must be spread by direct contact. 


If he was a member while he served he can sponsor you right now.

 

If he was never a member he cannot and you do not have a sponsor to join.

Assuming he gets disability pay from the military, or has a Govenrment job that qualifies, he can become a member and sponsor you. Does he have an unexpired ID card?

 

Signature line begins:
Credit is not a right, but a business transaction, one that takes into account risk, and charges accordingly based on that risk.
Your credit score is an aspect of your credit profile. Important? yes but just an aspect. Contributing/supplemental information determines the finer point of the deal. Ask any question, respect me not to get mad if the answer is not the affirmation you are looking for,
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU


usmc58555 wrote:

hobojon wrote:

If his medical discharge resulted in a disabillity rating high enough for him to receive a disability pension rather than severance pay he would be eligible to join.


 

 

He needs to me a member of NFCU to sponsor you.

Just because he once served does not make him eligible for membership.  Just because someone was once in a qualifier for membership does not mean that they can sposor someone at all times.  Like a happy credit granting bacteria NFCU Membership must be spread by direct contact. 


If he was a member while he served he can sponsor you right now.

 

If he was never a member he cannot and you do not have a sponsor to join.

Assuming he gets disability pay from the military, or has a Govenrment job that qualifies, he can become a member and sponsor you. Does he have an unexpired ID card?

 


 

My understainding is that 'IF' his medical discharge is with paid disability, then the brother would be qualifed to join.  And if he joins, then he is eligible to sponsor any first degree relative or household member.

 

My understanding is based upon the "retirement" or "annuitant" (which means monthly payments) as a qualifer.

 

 

 

 

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator


09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549