Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about NFCU

I'm so excited because I just found out my roommate belongs to NFCU, which, per their CSR, makes me eligible for membership. Does anyone know if they do a hard pull for membership? I'm planning to open a checking and savings account with them. I'd also like to apply for a credit card but want to wait until I pay down my over util - right now it's around 32%, I'll be paying it down to under 10% this week. If they do a hard pull for membership/checking/savings/CC I'm wondering if it's best to just wait and apply for everything together once my accounts have all updated. I want to maximize my chances of approval but don't really want the extra inquiry if I can avoid it.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU

Just wait until your Equifax report shows the updated balances. Expect to wait close to a week maybe more until after the statements cut with the new balances. I would go for a credit card just as soon as you get your member number in the mail. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined early March and there was no hard pull for membership.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll call and bug a CSR once again; I have a few more questions to ask about some of their products.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm so excited because I just found out my roommate belongs to NFCU, which, per their CSR, makes me eligible for membership. Does anyone know if they do a hard pull for membership? I'm planning to open a checking and savings account with them. I'd also like to apply for a credit card but want to wait until I pay down my over util - right now it's around 32%, I'll be paying it down to under 10% this week. If they do a hard pull for membership/checking/savings/CC I'm wondering if it's best to just wait and apply for everything together once my accounts have all updated. I want to maximize my chances of approval but don't really want the extra inquiry if I can avoid it.

Is that right?   I never heard about can roommate become a member of NFCU.   I know sure is families and relatives are eligible.  Very intresting ....

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is that right?   I never heard about can roommate become a member of NFCU.   I know sure is families and relatives are eligible.  Very intresting ....

That's why I initially called. I wanted to make sure just the mere fact that my roommate was a member was enough to make me eligible. The CSR confirmed that it did not matter how she became a member (I wanted to make sure she didn't have to be in the military, or DoD employee/contractor), that as long as we were members of the same household I would be eligible. I later called to find out what, if any responsibility, she would have in my membership. The second CSR told me I just needed to prove we lived at the same address (I'm sure I'll have to provide a utility bill or something along those lines). The website states something to the effect that I have to prove that I make a contribution to the household. Who knows, they may tell me something different when I actually apply.......

Message 6 of 8
Lyythine
Established Contributor

rsoRe: Question about NFCU

You are correct, any person you live with can join through a qualified member.  Both my college and graduate roomate both joined through me.  All my graduate roomate needed to provide was a copy of his driver's license showing the same address as where I lived.  College roomate was a bit trickier as we had not changed or licenses to reflect a not so perminent address.  In that case I believe he had to send in a copy of our lease and a utility bill - both instances were rather painless however and the member has to do absolutely nothing, except provide you with their member #.

Good luck!  They are an awesome institution to deal with.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: rsoRe: Question about NFCU

Wow!  They are so lucky!!  

Well, I learned something new on this thread.  Thanks OP  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.