Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NavCheck

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Question about NavCheck

Hey I have a quick question for you NFCU members out there!

If I added DH to my e-checking account which has an associated NavCheck account, does that mean that DH is now a joint owner on the LOC as well?

NavCheck is showing up under his accounts under his NFCU login.

Thanks!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about NavCheck

@webhopper wrote:

Hey I have a quick question for you NFCU members out there!

If I added DH to my e-checking account which has an associated NavCheck account, does that mean that DH is now a joint owner on the LOC as well?

NavCheck is showing up under his accounts under his NFCU login.

Thanks!

Funny I was going to call today because partner got NAVCheck and his checking is actually our joint, but they opened it in just his name!

I do see it in my personal log in too but I went negative on my personal checking last week and it did not pull any funds, went negative (oops, problem with bill pay attached to multiple checking accounts and not switching to the correct pay from!) oh well.

I want to see what would need to be done to have it on my personal checking too or might just switch to do everything out of the joint instead.

Message 2 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

We had to jump through several hoops to get him added onto the account..

We tried to do it over the phone, but found out that he had a checking account closed unsatisfactorily in 2005 with a -$4.06 balance.  So we had to fix that before he could be on any NFCU checking account.. So we sent in the form to add him as joint on the account, along with a check made out to Navy Federal for 4.06 from our regional bank joint account. So fast forward two weeks, nothing had happened!  They cashed the check but didn't clear out the "flag"

So I got a copy of the cancelled check that they had cashed and I faxed it in along with a cover letter explaining what it was and all of my husbands info, and I also sent the cover letter and cancelled check in via secured message center.

A day later, got the message that the flag had been cleared and that he could now be added.  So on the 6th, we re-filled out the form to add him, filled out the form to add me as joint to his share savings, and filled out the form to update the EIN for the business and add DH as an Authorized signer for the business.

Sent the form to add me onto his shares through his secure message center.  Sent the form in to add him to checking from my secure message center, and sent the update EIN and Authorized Signer through the secure message center for the business.

Got the messages today that all three were processed and now he has the e-checking and the NavCheck showing up under his account login.

If he is joint on NavCheck, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

FICO 9:

Message 3 of 5
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Creditaddict;

You would be joint only under the account the NavCheck is attached to.  If you want it on your personal account, you'd have to apply for it for that account.   In WebHopper's case it's the same thing, the joint checking account NavCheck will show up on his account page AND on CRs (as should yours) but will not provide overdraft protection for his own personal checking account.   I think that can be requested in either of your cases but you'd have to call navy to be sure. The best, or easiest, option would to be to write a check out of the joint account or do a transfer (if it's allowed) to the account not covered by NavCheck.  The other option would be to apply for NavCheck for the individual checking accounts.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@RyVision wrote:

Creditaddict;

You would be joint only under the account the NavCheck is attached to.  If you want it on your personal account, you'd have to apply for it for that account.   In WebHopper's case it's the same thing, the joint checking account NavCheck will show up on his account page AND on CRs (as should yours) but will not provide overdraft protection for his own personal checking account.   I think that can be requested in either of your cases but you'd have to call navy to be sure. The best, or easiest, option would to be to write a check out of the joint account or do a transfer (if it's allowed) to the account not covered by NavCheck.  The other option would be to apply for NavCheck for the individual checking accounts.

So does this mean that a person could potentially have two NavChecks?  One Joint account with spouse or partner, and one individual account?

Also, is there such a thing as a Business NavCheck linked to business checking account? Does anyone have this?

FICO 9:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.