Did you mean: 

Question about Paypal Cashback payment

tag
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Question about Paypal Cashback payment

Hello

I recently got paypal cashback mastercard which is issued by Synchrony

Anyways, I made a purchase using it and made a payment through my checking account which reflected on my available credit almost immedietly but is taking forever to post and reflect on my current balance .. The payment is also pending on my paypal.com account, not just the synchrony account page. Which means that Synchrony don't get their money directly from the customer. meaning a huge delay for the money to move from the bank to paypal and then from paypal to synchrony.

My quetsion is if I make a payment right before my statement closes to lower the reported balance to the bureas. Will it reflect on my statement balance ?

Or I need to make that payment like a week in advance just to be sure ?! .. If that's the case then its not very practical because with my Discover card I make the payment anytime knowing that once midnight time hits it will post and reflect on my current balance.

So whats going on here ?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Paypal Cashback payment

@patoot10 wrote:

Hello

Anyways, I made a purchase using it and made a payment through my checking account which reflected on my available credit almost immedietly but is taking forever to post and reflect on my current balance .. The payment is also pending on my paypal.com account, not just the synchrony account page. Which means that Synchrony don't get their money directly from the customer. meaning a huge delay for the money to move from the bank to paypal and then from paypal to synchrony.

My quetsion is if I make a payment right before my statement closes to lower the reported balance to the bureas. Will it reflect on my statement balance ?

Or I need to make that payment like a week in advance just to be sure ?! .. If that's the case then its not very practical because with my Discover card I make the payment anytime knowing that once midnight time hits it will post and reflect on my current balance.

So whats going on here ?

I noticed the Synchrony side is slower to process the payment compared to Paypal Credit (Comenity). You will be better pushing payments via your banks bill pay. That’s my plan going forward.
~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 2 of 5
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

what if i paid using paypal balance will that make things faster ?

cause that's an option either paypal balance or bank

also will that reflect on statement if its still pending ?

Message 3 of 5
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I notice...with Synchrony, you may see the available credit update the day you pay it , but it takes 2 business days for them to draw the money out of my bank account and for the "25 minimum due on..." to disappear. I believe it takes just as much time when paying from the Paypal balance.

Also, Sychrony is unlike all the other banks(except for USBank/Elan),  being they're somewhat unpredicatable in their reportings. For most of my accounts, the statement balance is what's reported once closed...even if you use the card on the statement closing date. Synchrony will close a statement and then report a balance on a purchase you made shortly after. They will also update out of the blue too. One time they didn't update my balance to reflect my payment for 7 days because I had paid 800-1000 twice in a month. 

I wouldn't say you need to pay a week in advance...maybe 2-3 business days before. 

Message 4 of 5
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@patoot10 wrote:

Hello

So whats going on here ?

I know this thread is old but I have a data point to share. I’m not sure if this is specific to Synchrony or a rule proposed by PayPal; however, if the acccount is less than 6 months old and a large or “out of pattern” payment is made, they may withhold the payment from updating the available credit for up to 8 business days. This action is supposedly system generated and may occur at random. Agents are unable to remove the hold to the available credit balance if the account is less than 6 months old.

For those with accounts less than 6 months old that do not want a balance reported at the statement cycle date, make sure you payment is received 9-10 business dates before the statement cycle date. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.