Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Paypal Gift and 0% CC intro purchase offer

tag
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Question about Paypal Gift and 0% CC intro purchase offer

I just got a Venture CC from capone with a 15k limit on it and 0% until Sept 2016. There is no 0% balance transfer offer on this card, just the purchase. 

I have a family member who desperatly needs 8k in a week or so. I was wondering if I could gift them the money using paypal and this cc which from what I understand acts as any normal credit card purchase. My question is would this still be listed as 0%, and has anyone done this before. I have gifted money before (not to this person) in the 2-3k range but I never noticed the interest rate I was charged on the card. I know I will have to pay the 2.9% credit card fee. 

Anyone know?

-- I know people will hammer me on lending money to family. I know, trust me. This person has helped me a ton long time ago and the most honest person I ever met. They will repay me in april when they get their bonus. HOWEVER, if they dont I am fully willing and able to pay this off on my own if they don't and I am willling to accept the risk. --

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Paypal Gift and 0% CC intro purchase offer

@Klesko wrote:

I just got a Venture CC from capone with a 15k limit on it and 0% until Sept 2016. There is no 0% balance transfer offer on this card, just the purchase. 

I have a family member who desperatly needs 8k in a week or so. I was wondering if I could gift them the money using paypal and this cc which from what I understand acts as any normal credit card purchase. My question is would this still be listed as 0%, and has anyone done this before. I have gifted money before (not to this person) in the 2-3k range but I never noticed the interest rate I was charged on the card. I know I will have to pay the 2.9% credit card fee. 

Anyone know?

-- I know people will hammer me on lending money to family. I know, trust me. This person has helped me a ton long time ago and the most honest person I ever met. They will repay me in april when they get their bonus. HOWEVER, if they dont I am fully willing and able to pay this off on my own if they don't and I am willling to accept the risk. --

From what I know, PayPal doesn't deal as cash advances so you'd be charged a normal credit card transaction fee. However any abuse of the system and PayPal will hold your funds for 180 days for investigation.

Also it takes 3-5 business days for the money to withdraw to your bank account.

Not that I'm implying or giving any kind of advice, but seems like you're better off buying a $8000 item from your family member.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.