Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about REDCard Debit Inquiry

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Question about REDCard Debit Inquiry

I understand many people here have Target REDCard for building credit history and/or that 5% discount. I just started on building my credit history so I highly doubt that I can get a credit version at this time. So my intention is to apply the debit card version. Problem is that as I look through the application for debit card,

"In connection with your Target Debit Card, we may request consumer reports from consumer reporting agencies, and we may report information about your Target Debit Card application, transactions, our experiences with you and how you have handled the Target Debit Card to consumer reporting agencies. You should read the Card Agreement for complete terms and conditions of the Target Debit Card."

So does Target pull your credit report even though you are applying for a debit card? If so is it a soft or hard pull? Finally if they do pull CR which one they pull it from?

@Mod - I don't know where to post this. Move it if it is in the wrong place.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about REDCard Debit Inquiry

Your Fako scores are currently around 700? sounds like a quick rebuild if from that!!! Those would be way high enough to get a Target Card.

Message 2 of 25
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

LOL Smiley Very Happy

Here is a little background about me. I'm a college student who started on building credit history two months ago. Before that I had absolutely no credit history. So to be precise I'm not rebuilding a credit history. I currently have a Cap 1 Student Reward (unsecured, CL $500, util 13%).

My FAKO scores came from Credit Karma. You think I have a chance in the credit version?

Message 3 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

LOL Smiley Very Happy

Here is a little background about me. I'm a college student who started on building credit history two months ago. Before that I had absolutely no credit history. So to be precise I'm not rebuilding a credit history. I currently have a Cap 1 Student Reward (unsecured, CL $500, util 13%).

My FAKO scores came from Credit Karma. You think I have a chance in the credit version?

yes and zync from amex and maybe citi forward

Message 4 of 25
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Well I don't want to open that many accounts in such a short time, though a REDCard will be very handy for me. I don't know if I want to pull the trigger and risk for a credit version (another hard inq).

Does anyone know if Target do a hard-pull if you app for debit card version?

Message 5 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Well I don't want to open that many accounts in such a short time, though a REDCard will be very handy for me. I don't know if I want to pull the trigger and risk for a credit version (another hard inq).

Does anyone know if Target do a hard-pull if you app for debit card version?

They probably pull your credit so they can say hey, we would give you a credit card instead if you wanted! lol

I really don't know about the debit card, but it's EQ for the credit card and in my experience they don't decline many... I Mean I have 4 of them and the most recent one was after I have filed both a ch 7 and 13 bankruptcy

Message 6 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I understand many people here have Target REDCard for building credit history and/or that 5% discount. I just started on building my credit history so I highly doubt that I can get a credit version at this time. So my intention is to apply the debit card version. Problem is that as I look through the application for debit card,

I don't see how the Target debit card helps your credit history any. I don't think it reports.

IMO, even if you had zero credit, I still think you're a shoe-in for the Target CC if you ever wanted it. Heck, I hate mine. You can have it. 3+ years at $200 and counting.

Message 7 of 25
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I want the REDCard for 5% discount. I'll leave building credit to my Cap 1. Smiley Very Happy

I guess I'll pull the trigger and apply a Target CC in store, after my second payment history is posted that is.

Message 8 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

BTW, if looking for a preapproval first, they'll give you one on your receipt from time to time. If you don't want to app now, but show there using a debit card, then keep an eye to see if there's a preapproval offer.

Message 9 of 25
RHAL
Regular Contributor

trumpet,

Where did you get that second score off of karma? I only know of the vantage score they give you.

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold NPSL, AMEX HH 1k, Citi Hilton Reserve VS, CSP 9.2k, Chase Freedom 6.7k, Chase Sapphire 5.2k, USAA AMEX 2k, Cap 1 Cash 1.2k, BBRZ MC 500, Barclaycard Apple 1.5k, Barclay Ring 4.5k, Bank Americard 123 5.5k, NFCU Cash 14k

Starting Score: (9/27/10)TU:602 EQ:567
Current Score: TU:670 EQ:670 EX: 706 chase pull
Goal Score: TU:700 EQ:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold, Citi Hilton Gold, Cap 1 Cash, BBRZ MC, Barclaycard Apple, Bank Americard Cash
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.