Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a Discover Return...

tag
Boragard
Established Contributor

Question about a Discover Return...

Hey guys!

Hope all is well!  I have a question about my Discover It card and a return...

I ordered a laptop thru ShopDiscover from HP.com.  I ordered a new laptop because my old one decided to crash on me during the games of March Madness.  Long story short, I took it to a computer shop guy said it was irreparable and said I should by a new one.  So I did just that...

On April 18, I strategically placed an order as my statement cut on the 17th.  I paid my balance to zero then placed the order.  On April 23rd, I got my shiny new computer in the mail.  My next statement does not cut until May 17th, but the problem is I paid my balance back down to zero on May 1st.

Today (May 10), after going to 3 different repair shops I found a guy who fixed my laptop for only $150.   Which is significantly less than $1200, the price of the new laptop. 

Considering I already paid my balance back to zero & my next statement cuts on the 17th of May.  How will Discover refund me?  Will they send me a check for $1200 or will my balance just sit as a negative balance until I spend to recoup the loss?  I was also supposed to get $65 cash back since I bought it thru ShopDiscover, but since I haven't gotten it yet, it should be a big deal right?

Any help or guidance would be sweet! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about a Discover Return...

You will get a credit in your account for the amount of the refund minus current months charges. They would cut you a check if you leave the balance in your CC account for a month or two past you most recent closing date. You can spend some of your owed balance on whatever you normally would buy in the month and the difference will be cut as a check or kept till next month to be used or check cut that time. Funny thing on monthly reports to CRA's the amount due to you looks like a balance you would have if you owed them. I dont think the CRA's have a way to show negative balances (money owed you). atleat mine didnt

Message 2 of 9
newUser0
Established Contributor

I think capital one sent me a check after 2 statements of negative balance.

So, in your case, either you can use the -VE balance to purchase if you need anything else, or call and ask them to send you a check.

Message 3 of 9
Boragard
Established Contributor

@MidnightJester wrote:

You will get a credit in your account for the amount of the refund minus current months charges. They would cut you a check if you leave the balance in your CC account for a month or two past you most recent closing date. You can spend some of your owed balance on whatever you normally would buy in the month and the difference will be cut as a check or kept till next month to be used or check cut that time. Funny thing on monthly reports to CRA's the amount due to you looks like a balance you would have if you owed them. I dont think the CRA's have a way to show negative balances (money owed you). atleat mine didnt

whoa! So you mean to tell me since they (discover) will owe me, it still shows on my CR as a balance?  That is not cool, as that would look like I owe 50% on that card.

Message 4 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Boragard wrote:

@MidnightJester wrote:

whoa! So you mean to tell me since they (discover) will owe me, it still shows on my CR as a balance?  That is not cool, as that would look like I owe 50% on that card.

No no... negative balance  will report as 0 balance... as mentioned above you will get a check back if not used within 1-2 statements. if you need the money immediately you can call Discover and ask if they can send you a check asap rather than leaving  the amount on the account for future spend Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Your cash back through discovershop will be deducted as well I guess? Which website was that laptop? Bestbuy?

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 6 of 9
Boragard
Established Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:
Your cash back through discovershop will be deducted as well I guess? Which website was that laptop? Bestbuy?

I went thru HP.com

Message 7 of 9
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Are you getting refunded through Discover's return guarentee (only refund up to $500) or through HP.com directly? 

As others have mentioned, you will have a negative balance until they send you a check for the $ they owe you, unless you make enough purchases to bring the balance down to $0.

Message 8 of 9
Boragard
Established Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

Are you getting refunded through Discover's return guarentee (only refund up to $500) or through HP.com directly? 

As others have mentioned, you will have a negative balance until they send you a check for the $ they owe you, unless you make enough purchases to bring the balance down to $0.

I am going to return the product, hopefully Monday, directly with hp.com.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.