Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about balance reporting...

tag
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

Question about balance reporting...

I accidently double paid my Barclays credit card but I'm showing a negative available balance with a current balance below my limit. My statement will cut on the 23rd and usually reports to CRAs a day or two after statement cuts. How will my balance report on my credit reports?

Here's an example:

Credit limit: $1500

Balance: $500

Accidently paid $1000

Available balance: -$500

Available credit: $1400

Does Barclay normally do this if you accidently paid more than you owe? Unfortunately, I had pre-scheduled a payment, forgot I did, scheduled another payment (I thought I had checked payment history too but didn't see the first one so I scheduled it the second time), then they both came out of my account the same day two days later.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
policebox
Contributor

Re: Question about balance reporting...

A credit balance on your account will report to the CRAs as a $0 balance.

Message 2 of 5
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

I accidently double paid my Barclays credit card but I'm showing a negative available balance with a current balance below my limit. My statement will cut on the 23rd and usually reports to CRAs a day or two after statement cuts. How will my balance report on my credit reports?

Here's an example:

Credit limit: $1500

Balance: $500

Accidently paid $1000

Available balance: -$500

Current balance: $1400

Does Barclay normally do this if you accidently paid more than you owe? Unfortunately, I had pre-scheduled a payment, forgot I did, scheduled another payment (I thought I had checked payment history too but didn't see the first one so I scheduled it the second time), then they both came out of my account the same day two days later.

How come your current balance is $1400?

Did you spend $1900 rignt now? (your statement cuts tomorrow, 23rd)

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 3 of 5
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

Joshua, oops, I meant current available credit is 1400$ and current balance is -$500. I only realized after the payment had cleared through my bank and since then, I've been using the card for my gas purchases. Still, it has been over a week since the payment cleared through my bank/posted on my credit card and it's still showing like this so I was worried it would show up weird on my credit report. I'm house hunting and don't want anything affecting my current score.

Message 4 of 5
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

Joshua, oops, I meant current available credit is 1400$ and current balance is -$500. I only realized after the payment had cleared through my bank and since then, I've been using the card for my gas purchases. Still, it has been over a week since the payment cleared through my bank/posted on my credit card and it's still showing like this so I was worried it would show up weird on my credit report. I'm house hunting and don't want anything affecting my current score.

Oh okay, right-!! In this case, your available credit doesn't matter since, it only makes sense after the transactions are posted to your account to actually reflect a new balance. In your case, the balance is still -$500. Granted that no transactions are posted to your account by tomorrow (23rd), your balance reported to the CR's will be $0 (also as mentioned by others here).

Hopefully your gas purchases does not come through as a charge today or tomorrow before their cutoff time for statement. ....My pleasure......Robot wink

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.