Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about cards reporting a balance

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Question about cards reporting a balance

From what I've learned here Amex PRG is not factored into UTL.

I'm wondering, though, is it factored as an account reporting a balance? For example, if a creditor says "There are too many accounts reporting a balance" is this considered as one of them if it has a balance?

If so, seems beneficial to pay this card before the statement cuts so that I can have another credit account reporting a $0 balance (to offset some of my student loans which are reporting balances).

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about cards reporting a balance

@lhcole77 wrote:

I'm wondering, though, is it factored as an account reporting a balance? For example, if a creditor says "There are too many accounts reporting a balance" is this considered as one of them if it has a balance?

If so, seems beneficial to pay this card before the statement cuts so that I can have another credit account reporting a $0 balance (to offset some of my student loans which are reporting balances).

Yes, it is factored into the "accounts with balances" however the balance itself is not included in your overall utilization.

I would't worry too much about it, as I believe this is a lesser impact to your FICO score.

Also the student loan accounts are installment loans which aren't scored in  the same way as revolving accounts.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 6
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

Yes, it is factored into the "accounts with balances" however the balance itself is not included in your overall utilization.

I would't worry too much about it, as I believe this is a lesser impact to your FICO score.

Also the student loan accounts are installment loans which aren't scored in  the same way as revolving accounts.

Thank you for this reply!

This information is very helpful.

Message 4 of 6
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Follow up question: Is there a suggested number of accounts one can have that report a balance?

For example, if somone has 14 TL does it benefit when only X number report?

Message 5 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Follow up question: Is there a suggested number of accounts one can have that report a balance?

For example, if somone has 14 TL does it benefit when only X number report?

Doesn't matter unless you are getting ready to app and then the golden rule of letting one card report 1-9% applies

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.