Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about closed credit card

tag
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Question about closed credit card

Hey everybody im helping my sister out who has not been so responsible with her credit. First off she has 2 cards 1 Comerica Bank card with a 2k CL and a Gap visa with a 2k CL.

Lets start with the Comerica Card. As of her september statement she owed $1,783.42 and the card was open. Up to september shes been late every payment since January and hasnt been making the minimum payment but she was making some payments. October comes and she pays the minimum payment of $355 which brings her balance down to $1,334.25 and new minimum payment to $56. Well she got her statement for October and says "Your account has been closed to further use of credit. If you still have cards in your possession, please cut them in half and return them to us."

I am focusing on the Comerica Card for now but basically the same situation with the GAP card. I want her to keep both but they both say closed.

My question is has anybody ever had a deliquent account re-opened after paying it? or is this a lost cause and im wasting my time trying to get these re-opened for her? I emailed the CEO of Comerica bank on my sisters behalf. we will see what happens with that. I just want some advice from you guys.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about closed credit card

@tylaw13 wrote:

Hey everybody im helping my sister out who has not been so responsible with her credit. First off she has 2 cards 1 Comerica Bank card with a 2k CL and a Gap visa with a 2k CL.

Lets start with the Comerica Card. As of her september statement she owed $1,783.42 and the card was open. Up to september shes been late every payment since January and hasnt been making the minimum payment but she was making some payments. October comes and she pays the minimum payment of $355 which brings her balance down to $1,334.25 and new minimum payment to $56. Well she got her statement for October and says "Your account has been closed to further use of credit. If you still have cards in your possession, please cut them in half and return them to us."

I am focusing on the Comerica Card for now but basically the same situation with the GAP card. I want her to keep both but they both say closed.

My question is has anybody ever had a deliquent account re-opened after paying it? or is this a lost cause and im wasting my time trying to get these re-opened for her? I emailed the CEO of Comerica bank on my sisters behalf. we will see what happens with that. I just want some advice from you guys.

Did the bank notice about the closed account actually say this? Unheard of!

I don't see the bank opening her card back up. If she has been making late payments or not paying the minimum at all, she's been really hurting her credit and her chances of ever banking with the company again. If there are no charges on the Gap card, I'd get rid of it. Don't close the account but get rid of the card to avoid the temptation of using it. Focus on getting that Comerica card down! If she is having problems making payments, she needs to make contact with the bank to set up a payment plan and/or see if they will lower the APR.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 3
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about closed credit card

im helping her make the payments now and actually have both the cards. She is a single mom and entry level in her career so its tough sometimes for her to make the payments. The GAP card is backed by GE which sucks cause now she may not be able to get a GE backed card again. I think its weird that they closed it the comerica card because in september she paid $180 which is the most she paid all year and now she paid the $355 which gives her a $56 minimum. when i check online it says she has $666 available credit but the statement says the card is closed.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.