Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about contacting Chase

tag
tbenz6876
New Contributor

Question about contacting Chase

I am looking to apply for a Chase credit card, but want to find out what the credit criteria is before I apply. When I called the application line the idiot on the phone did not know what the criteria was and that I needed to call CS. Well I called CS and they told me that I need to contact the application line. Well after an hour of being transferred from one department to another I finaly got someone to say that it is up to the credit department, but they would not give me a number.

Does anyone have the number to Chase's credit department so that I can talk to a decision maker on the there credit cards?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about contacting Chase

This is by no means precise, but if you pretend to apply for one of their cards, you will be presented with their "questions of death", which ask about your past naughtiness and whether you've app'd recently. Sorry that I can't come up with anything more precise.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
tbenz6876
New Contributor

I have no baddies and have never had any baddies on my CR. I applied for the Chase Continental World MasterCard a few months ago and was denided. I got the letter in the mail stating that it was denided because of inq. and balance to limit ratio. I wanted to talk with someone that could make a decision because for some reason the CRA do not have the correct balances on my Revolving accounts because I make weekly payments, because I use my card daily for personal and business. When I applied for BoA card they denided me but after talking with a person in the credit department they approved me.
Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you compare your reports to your various credit account statements, how well do they match up? We're talking letter by letter, numeral by numeral.

It sounds like you already understand about paying your balances down ahead of time, so I'm surprised that you are getting that message.

Could you post your current accounts (all identifying info removed first) here? Date opened, what the current credit limit is, what is the most recent balance which posted, whether there are any baddies? (sounds like there aren't.)

It sometimes takes a grim line-by-line comparison to figure out what the problem is.

edit: whoops, I'm sorry, now it looks like I'm replying to the wrong post! Hmmm, wonder who had the messed-up reports..

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-07-2008 06:07 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
tbenz6876
New Contributor

Yes I can do that. It will take me a while because my CR is 43 pages long. Unless all you want is the revolving accounts. In that case it should not take a long time.
Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, now that I've pulled myself together...

If your util (utilization; balance owed divided by credit limit) is high on your cards, can you pay each one down or off 4-5 days before its statement date? That way, a lower figure will report. When you do that, you'll want to give that particular card a mini-vacation until the statement drops so that new charges don't pop up and get reported.

This is assuming that your credit card companies update to the CRA's on the statement date, which most of them do.

I just carry one card at a time and use it for everything, then I take it out of my wallet when I do the pay-down and start on the next card. That way all the cards get used, and I control the reported util (which is usually under 1%.) You'd need to do some planning if one of your cards is a really good rewards card --hit the grocery store and tank up the car, or whatever, before the paydown.
Message 6 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Another approach is to increase all you CLs and reduce utilization that way
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.