Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about credit card utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about credit card utilization

@Anonymous wrote:

Generally speaking (and there are a few threads I've read this on; if you do a search you should be able to find some), the best way to have utilization report is to have all your cards report a zero balance except for one card that's reporting around 1%.  I believe that anything below 1% is rounded up to 1%, so you could literally just have a balance of $1 if you wanted to on that last card.

Usually I just let my balances report and then pay after the statement cuts (not before since then no balance is reported). 1-10% util is the desired. 

However if you pay the balances each month (PIF preferably), your score isnt going to be altered much by your utilization. 

For example, one month I had 10.5k report on my Arrival. I got my Experian score of 749 from amex (was previously 795). 

Quite a big drop but after I PIF and the new balance reported, my Experian score went back up to 795 the next month. So your score might go down initially if your payment doesnt post yet but once it does, your score will be back where it was before.. 

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.