cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about credit cards through local credit unions...

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Question about credit cards through local credit unions...

I see advice given many times about "looking at local credit unions" for accounts and credit cards. While I have had splendid success getting good checking accounts (Alliance One-affiliated cards are the BOMB...can be used at a slew of ATMS), I have yet to look into a credit cards because my scores aren't yet to 700 and I have a BK7 that is a little over 2 years discharged.

What are the caveats with credit union cards? Are they typically always YMMV, or are they typically more forgiving of past mistakes and willing to take a chance since the rest of your money is there and the right to offset is quite literally at their fingertips?

FYI, the credit union in question is 3 Rivers FCU in Fort Wayne...and their cc is a VISA. I have checking and savings with them.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about credit cards through local credit unions...

Local, Smaller credit unions tend to be a little more relaxed with approving credit, and they are usually able to offer some other options to help build credit or relationship with them if needed, like a very low interest secured loan  by locking some money in a savings and then having you make 6-12 months of payments, etc.

The only thing you would want to check (I looked through this CU website and couldn't find it) but I had a small CU back home and they were so small they didn't underwrite their own credit card.

Message 2 of 3
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about credit cards through local credit unions...

@Creditaddict wrote:

Local, Smaller credit unions tend to be a little more relaxed with approving credit, and they are usually able to offer some other options to help build credit or relationship with them if needed, like a very low interest secured loan  by locking some money in a savings and then having you make 6-12 months of payments, etc.

The only thing you would want to check (I looked through this CU website and couldn't find it) but I had a small CU back home and they were so small they didn't underwrite their own credit card.

As yes..the underwriting...excellent point...will check that right away to make sure Citi or some other non-BK friendly entity isn't doing it.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.