Did you mean: 

Question about credit utilization

tag
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about credit utilization

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

See, this is where I get very confused. I was going to post on this earlier but since the same topic is here, I will add 2 ceents.  Someone on board said it is better to max out one card and then PIF to get earlier CLI and look good to issuer.  Is this true or false?

This is a tactic I would recommend. If you can PIF a $3,300 card, more power to you, and you will see CLI eventually. Most commonly, however, it's more realistic to max out a $300, $500, or $1k card to PIF.

As to letting the one Capital One $3,300 card get maxed out, while all others are zero, yes, there may be some impact to the credit score, but as long as this is paid down in a few months, it's not worth worrying about the impact to the credit score. There were likely items to be purchased, and putting it all on this card may be to maximize rewards earning. (paying interest on that balance negates most or all, or more than all of the points/cashback earnings results, so that is why PIF is best).

What we don't know yet is OP's scores. Likely below 700, likely not apping any time soon, so the concern over "what will my score do" is probably not the significant issue. Keeping utilization lower, yes, that is recommended, however I've ignored that many times to take advantage of 0% and low APR BT offers, BT onto a card for large amounts to save interest cost.

As with all things credit, there often are several answers to any particular question, and the only fixed rule is: Never miss a payment.

Points taken and well made.

If OP won't be applying for anything soon, then it won't matter much.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

On has lot of inquiry. a lot. like 23
Message 12 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
On has lot of inquiry. a lot. like 23

There's another complicating factor. As those INQ age off, that will allow your score to increase. Separating that from the effect of paying down utilization? They are both going in the same direction, so over time, as you pay down, scores should rise nicely, as long as you can stay away from the apps. Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The good thing about utilization is that it has no memory from month to month. Once you pay the card down or off, your score will quickly recover. So unless you have an app planned, worrying about temporarily high utilization isn't necessary as you won't suffer any long term damage from it.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just pay a couple hundred a month on the card  and don't use it and you'll be fine. Your scores are decent. You can't go broke trying to have extremely low debt.

this is what happens to a lot of us who don't have the super high limits to be able to carry a $5000-$10,000 balance off and on as needed and still have a utilization rate of under 10-15%.

i wouldn't worry about it. You 're basically in the 700 club.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.