Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about discover cash back at register

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about discover cash back at register

Silly question, but how does this work? Will I have to enter a pin or will it be like a normal transaction where I just sign but don't need a pin? Also, is the 120 max per day, or per billing cycle?? Thanks.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about discover cash back at register

@Anonymous wrote:
Silly question, but how does this work? Will I have to enter a pin or will it be like a normal transaction where I just sign but don't need a pin? Also, is the 120 max per day, or per billing cycle?? Thanks.

No pin required, you just hit the "yes" button when it asks if you want cash back,  then sign as usual.  The 120 max per day is up to your cash limit I do believe.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

remember this usually counts as a cash advance and can start charging interest from day 1 with a few cards just make sure before you do it if you care.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 13
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

remember this usually counts as a cash advance and can start charging interest from day 1 with a few cards just make sure before you do it if you care.

No, it doesn't usually count as a cash advance, it's treated as a purchase but is only allowed up to the cash advance limit.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

No, it doesn't usually count as a cash advance, it's treated as a purchase but is only allowed up to the cash advance limit.

different credit cards have different rules, so ymmv but it does and can happen to a lot of people. it all depends on how the transaction is coded.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 13
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Like others have said, this is not considered a cash advance. It's one of the many Discover card features. For more info, google "Discover card Cash Over".
Message 6 of 13
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:
Like others have said, this is not considered a cash advance. It's one of the many Discover card features. For more info, google "Discover card Cash Over".

+1

Not a CA.  

Message 7 of 13
HiLine
Blogger

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Interesting ... Do you earn cash back rewards on that? 

Message 8 of 13
kekrre
Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

different credit cards have different rules, so ymmv but it does and can happen to a lot of people. it all depends on how the transaction is coded.

Yeah, Discover is the only network that offers this. It get coded (always) as a purchase. They market it directly on their network website (i.e. to other issuers):

http://www.discovernetwork.com/financial-institutions/enhancements/cash-over.html

The question is, what is the limit per customer. My card has no cash access line and I have yet to try to take out any cash, but I'll give a try next time I'm at Big Y or Walmart. If I can take cash out, it's not tied to a cash access line. Since you pay purchase APR on it, I don't believe there's any reason for it to be tied to the cash line.

On the other hand, it's very probable that Discover knows exactly what you're doing and will shut you down if you start taking out lots of cash. I'm also not certain if you get the cashback bonus on the cash over transaction. However, if you PIF, it's no different than getting cash back on your debit card, which I've always found very convenient.

|||||||
Message 9 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Interesting ... Do you earn cash back rewards on that? 

You don't.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.