Question about discover cash back at register

Silly question, but how does this work? Will I have to enter a pin or will it be like a normal transaction where I just sign but don't need a pin? Also, is the 120 max per day, or per billing cycle?? Thanks.
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about discover cash back at register

Leahgrace wrote:
Silly question, but how does this work? Will I have to enter a pin or will it be like a normal transaction where I just sign but don't need a pin? Also, is the 120 max per day, or per billing cycle?? Thanks.

No pin required, you just hit the "yes" button when it asks if you want cash back,  then sign as usual.  The 120 max per day is up to your cash limit I do believe.

Established Contributor

remember this usually counts as a cash advance and can start charging interest from day 1 with a few cards just make sure before you do it if you care.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor

distantarray wrote:

remember this usually counts as a cash advance and can start charging interest from day 1 with a few cards just make sure before you do it if you care.

No, it doesn't usually count as a cash advance, it's treated as a purchase but is only allowed up to the cash advance limit.

Established Contributor

RyVision wrote:

distantarray wrote:

No, it doesn't usually count as a cash advance, it's treated as a purchase but is only allowed up to the cash advance limit.

different credit cards have different rules, so ymmv but it does and can happen to a lot of people. it all depends on how the transaction is coded.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor

Like others have said, this is not considered a cash advance. It's one of the many Discover card features. For more info, google "Discover card Cash Over".
Established Contributor

kevinjjc wrote:
Like others have said, this is not considered a cash advance. It's one of the many Discover card features. For more info, google "Discover card Cash Over".

+1

Not a CA.  

Blogger

RyVision wrote:

distantarray wrote:

Interesting ... Do you earn cash back rewards on that? 

Contributor

distantarray wrote:

RyVision wrote:

distantarray wrote:

different credit cards have different rules, so ymmv but it does and can happen to a lot of people. it all depends on how the transaction is coded.

Yeah, Discover is the only network that offers this. It get coded (always) as a purchase. They market it directly on their network website (i.e. to other issuers):

http://www.discovernetwork.com/financial-institutions/enhancements/cash-over.html

The question is, what is the limit per customer. My card has no cash access line and I have yet to try to take out any cash, but I'll give a try next time I'm at Big Y or Walmart. If I can take cash out, it's not tied to a cash access line. Since you pay purchase APR on it, I don't believe there's any reason for it to be tied to the cash line.

On the other hand, it's very probable that Discover knows exactly what you're doing and will shut you down if you start taking out lots of cash. I'm also not certain if you get the cashback bonus on the cash over transaction. However, if you PIF, it's no different than getting cash back on your debit card, which I've always found very convenient.

Valued Contributor

HiLine wrote:

Interesting ... Do you earn cash back rewards on that? 

You don't.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.