Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about income

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Question about income

Just to clarify, only the interest on a promissary note counts as income (and IS taxable), not payments against principal. If it is a zero interest loan, there is zero income. You are much safer leaving thepayments from a note out of your listed income.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 11 of 17
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Question:   Is child support considered earned income when calculating the earned income credit?

Answer:   No.  For purposes of calculating the earned income credit, child support is not considered earned income. 

Examples of items that are not earned income include interest and dividends, pensions and annuities, social security and railroad retirement benefits (including disability benefits), alimony and child support, welfare benefits, workers’ compensation benefits, unemployment compensation (insurance), nontaxable foster care payments, and veterans’ benefits, including VA rehabilitation payments. Do not include any of these items in your earned income.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq/0,,id=199800,00.html

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 12 of 17
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I would not include child support as annual income. Just for the simple fact that its not guaranteed.  Supporting parent can easily file a motion in court, lose job, get custody, run away, move out of the country! lol.  not trying to be funny but all those are possible which will lead to the person recieving it simply not recieving it.  the list goes on and especially if we are dealing with amex and an FR comes breathing down on you then well......... we all know what happens.

and my opinion since they are welcome on this forum is its child support not credit card support

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 13 of 17
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

I don't have kids but I'm pretty sure you can use credit cards to "support" your children, ie.. school, clothing, food, gas, electric, cable etc.etc. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 14 of 17
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Um, yea, I out pretty much everything on the credit cards for the kids then pay it off each week with my paycheck and toss the child support on monthly, too.

Didn't realize only the interest on the promissory note counted as the mortgage would have counted t as income had I had 12 months of history. There is no interest, so I will exclude that anyway.
Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 15 of 17
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Just to clarify, only the interest on a promissary note counts as income (and IS taxable), not payments against principal. If it is a zero interest loan, there is zero income. You are much safer leaving thepayments from a note out of your listed income.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it depends on how long the note is for. If you're 70 and the note is a 30 year note it's a whole lot better "income" than an annuity that terminates upon death. A lender is virtually certain to recover outstanding debt from the remaining note principal.  And even annuities are better than job income.  If you buy an annuity a significant part of that annuity is return of principal and not "income" in an IRS sense but is it income from a lender's pov? Sure. It's the best kind. Kinda like having a job for life but with a lower tax rate.

Since my income is largely from selling appreciated investments what exactly is my income. Who the hell knows. I usually just use the minimum AGI for the last 3 years but since I'm retired and am drawing down a small portion (1% or so)  of principal as well do I include that? I don't but arguably I should.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 16 of 17
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Let's please keep in mind that lenders care about "income" in a broad sense, not the IRS sense. Something may not be IRS income but is still income for purposes of obtaining credit. For instance tax free Munis.

CapOne specifically allows "income" to optionally include these types:

Alimony, child support, or separate maintenance income need not be revealed if
you do not choose to have it considered as a basis for repaying this loan. We
may require proof of income

You don't have to include them if you don't want to but you certainly can.

I'm pretty sure Muni interest payouts would count as well.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.