Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about minimum spending!

tag
dxz7
Established Member

Question about minimum spending!

Hi all, just a quick question. Let's say if I apply for the Marriott premier credit card and spend 1000 dollars on it then transfer that 1000 dollars to Chase slate or Boa better balance card right away since they offer 0% APR for at least 12-15 months, will I still get the sign up bonus points? I have been searching around the internet but has not find a good answer. If any of you guys know, please share! Thank you!

Bofa Privileges with Cash Rewards Visa Signature -11k / Chase Sapphire Preferred - 10k / Chase Freedom - 7k / Hyatt Visa - 5k
Bofa Travel Rewards Card Visa Signature - 7.5k / American Express True Earnings - 5k / Barclay Arrival WorldMaster card - 5k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about minimum spending!

Every lender will be different, but in the cases I've seen, you can do what you're describing as long as your account remains open and in good standing.

The same is true for general rewards dollars/points/etc. Once you earn them, they are yours, even if you transfer the balance elsewhere.

However, just to be safe, I always wait for my bonus or rewards to post and appear in my account before I transfer anything. I know it probably doesn't matter, but I feel better once I can see them.

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 2 of 11
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@dxz7 wrote:

Hi all, just a quick question. Let's say if I apply for the Marriott premier credit card and spend 1000 dollars on it then transfer that 1000 dollars to Chase slate or Boa better balance card right away since they offer 0% APR for at least 12-15 months, will I still get the sign up bonus points? I have been searching around the internet but has not find a good answer. If any of you guys know, please share! Thank you!

if you're thinking of bt'ng to slate, just an fyi, chase wont let you bt from their card to another one of their cards.

why not just pay your monthly bills (utilities, cell phones, car insurance, etc.) using the marriott card then turn around and pay it off before the statement cut

Message 3 of 11
dxz7
Established Member

Thanks for the reply! If that's the case I'll probably apply for the marriott and the boa better balance card at the same time in may, then transfer the 1000 dollars balance to the bofa card. It is also because I have vacations coming up soon, even though I can stay at hyatt for free from my points but it will still cost me some money for airplane tickets. That's why I wanted to know if I can transfer the balances to a different card after I meet the minimum spending.

Bofa Privileges with Cash Rewards Visa Signature -11k / Chase Sapphire Preferred - 10k / Chase Freedom - 7k / Hyatt Visa - 5k
Bofa Travel Rewards Card Visa Signature - 7.5k / American Express True Earnings - 5k / Barclay Arrival WorldMaster card - 5k
Message 4 of 11
newUser0
Established Contributor

Yes, you can transfer between different lenders for BT. It might not be efficient if you do a small transfer

If your intention is only to meet minimum spend, There are lot of ways to do it.  You can search on Google for more on this. Currently, If you have a Google Wallet Account (Free) you can transfer 250$ from CC and then get the 250$ transferred back to your Bank Account. This ends on Feb 27 2014.

Message 5 of 11
dxz7
Established Member

I see, thanks. Oh btw, does Bofa allow BT in between their own cards?

Message 6 of 11
newUser0
Established Contributor

I guess NOT. Most of the lenders will not allow, BT from their other cards. It will hurt their profit from the interest you are paying.

Message 7 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@dxz7 wrote:

I see, thanks. Oh btw, does Bofa allow BT in between their own cards?

lenders do not let you BT between their cards.

However you can ask if there's any 0% promo available for you.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 11
dxz7
Established Member

Good news! Actually I just asked 2 different reps from bofa, and they both told me you could transfer balances in between your own accounts for bofa and as well as other bank accounts.

Message 9 of 11
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@dxz7 wrote:

Good news! Actually I just asked 2 different reps from bofa, and they both told me you could transfer balances in between your own accounts for bofa and as well as other bank accounts.

so your plan is to bt the marriott balance to one of your bofa cards, and then in time transfer it again to your other bofa? that would be costing you more instead of saving you money because of the bt fees involved.

like i said, if you were worried about meeting spend, use it to pay your monthly bills that you have to pay with cash anyways. just turn around and pay the cc off with the money you were going to use for the bills. and be careful with using google wallet for MS. if they catch on (and they will), you risk getting your account suspended or shutdown...and whatever money you have in there you will not be able to get back for several weeks. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.